Drysuit Roundtable Q&A

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simple question that I use to know but have forgotten. Neoprene drysuit. Do I hang with the inner zipper closed or the outer zipper. Thanks.
Answered in Post #40 if I understand. But that runs against what I had originally learned. Since the zipper relies on pressing two smooth coated fabric surfaces together, it seems like storing it closed would invite those surfaces taking a set. That advice seemed similar to that given for not storing U/W camera cases latched closed, to prevent o-rings taking a permanent compression set.

I guess the flip side is, why not store with the zipper [-]closed[/-] (oops! Meant to say: ) open? It doesn't appear to me that hanging is providing more than a minor amount of pull on any area of zipper.

Last edited:
Thanks. I overlooked the zipper question when I looked through the thread. Sorry. I had recalled that I was to close one of the zippers but not which one. Thanks again.

Lisa

Answered in Post #40 if I understand. But that runs against what I had originally learned. Since the zipper relies on pressing two smooth coated fabric surfaces together, it seems like storing it closed would invite those surfaces taking a set. That advice seemed similar to that given for not storing U/W camera cases latched closed, to prevent o-rings taking a permanent compression set.

I guess the flip side is, why not store with the zipper closed? It doesn't appear to me that hanging is providing more than a minor amount of pull on any area of zipper.

Not true, but I used to think the same. There is ZERO compression going on at the teeth for memory to occur. There is a rubber docking end at the end of the zipper that does take the compression. This is why you don't close it the last inch. That last docking end, would be similar to your scenario of the o-ring and leave a memory causing premature leaking. The rest of the zipper, not the case :wink:

866a5d3e4f27be56e051a707d91e078b.jpg

The fusion bullet sure does expand............

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least Im not the only one to have done this my 3xl was surprisingly roomy wen inflated.

Not true, but I used to think the same. There is ZERO compression going on at the teeth for memory to occur. There is a rubber docking end at the end of the zipper that does take the compression. This is why you don't close it the last inch. That last docking end, would be similar to your scenario of the o-ring and leave a memory causing premature leaking. The rest of the zipper, not the case :wink:
In looking at the zippers on the three suits here, the thin fabric doesn't appear to have much compressibility, but ZERO? If I may ask, how do you know the zipping doesn't compress the coated surface?

I guess the flip side is, since with care it doesn't seem like the unzipped zipper need take much stress, what's the harm in leaving it open?

---------- Post added September 30th, 2015 at 01:30 PM ----------

Pretty funny! So I'm wondering just how much additional compression the Bullet offers over the Tech skin?

Hi, I just emailed these questions, but thought they might be of interest here too:

I have to patch my Viking Haztech drysuit and wonder if you could answer a question or three?

I've done this on rubber Viking suits before, but thought it best to consult first before working on the polyurethane Haztech.

The repair kit came with patches and two tubes: one is a Black Watch tire repair glue and the other a large un-marked white tube.

Is the Black Watch glue the right one to use for patching?

Do you know what the white tube contains?

The instructions are the same as for the rubber suit aside from saying to use two applications of glue for polyurethane suits. Any other tricks of the trade I should be aware of?

Drysuit Repairs | Regulator Repairs | BCD Repairs - Dive Right in Scuba It looks like $125 to install + boots. I always have a hard time finding that info as well. I end up just clicking around the dry suit pages until it appears at the top of the page.

---------- Post added January 4th, 2016 at 12:08 PM ----------

I am looking at the same boots for my HOG/USIA.

Back
Top Bottom