Drysuit undergarments: Viking or DC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stackingreasyBBs:
Cool, thanks for the new option. Got another month to ponder things. And to replace my wrist seals. Sigh.

Anytime.

Wrist seals... ack! Less expensive than neck seals and zippers I suppose.

Are you using cornstarch or talc powder when putting on your suit?

Not to jump into the frey, but Richard at Divetank recommend HH underlays to go with some polypro as well. Whichever way you go, layer it up and stay warm!

Matt

Sounds to me like the HH stuff is a lot like the Weezles. Maybe I could have saved a few bucks with HH, but;
I too will put in a vote for Weezle Wear. I have the extreme and have no problem down to 39F. In a few months I plan to test them out on some ice diving, expect they will do the job there too. My Weezles were worth every penny.

Canadian_Diver:
Don't know what is up with Jonnythan. I guess he's never seen real cold or snow. He should try making a trek up to the Canuckistan Prairies, where winter air temperatures frequently reach beyond -76F with the windchill.

Maybe us Canucks are just more hardy, or maybe we just happen to know a thing or two about dressing warm and staying warm while exerting ourselves during our cold winters.

I do know that the Helly-Hansen sells some of the best coldweather gear on the market, and usually exceeds some of the toughest standards around. SARC, Military, and other such organizations use their thermalwear worldwide. Nevermind the huge saturation of their wares into mountaineering, skiing, and other coldweather sports.

Can that many people be wrong about their thermal properties?

Helly-Hansen Workwear

Been wearing H-H since I started diving dry. If I think I might get a little chill (rarely), I'll throw on my DUI wooly bear just to cut the cold. I love hearing people tell me what I wear is inadequate when they don't have a clue. Oh, wait a minute. Damn, I was born in Canada - must be in the genes.

Canadian_Diver:
Anytime.

Wrist seals... ack! Less expensive than neck seals and zippers I suppose.

Are you using cornstarch or talc powder when putting on your suit?

Yep, talc. Stuff happens, I guess. It's ok, though, the seals that are on there arent' stock, they're some sort of weird extra long seals. So normal ones might actually be better.
And it turns out a guy I work with might have some old old Scubapro (!) stuff that came with his Viking years ago. Only dived it once and was too hot. That's my kinda stuff. Gonna try it out whenever he brings it in. If it doesn't fit we'll go from there. Gotta find a place around here where I can try on the HH stuff.

stackingreasyBBs:
Yep, talc. Stuff happens, I guess. It's ok, though, the seals that are on there arent' stock, they're some sort of weird extra long seals. So normal ones might actually be better.
And it turns out a guy I work with might have some old old Scubapro (!) stuff that came with his Viking years ago. Only dived it once and was too hot. That's my kinda stuff. Gonna try it out whenever he brings it in. If it doesn't fit we'll go from there. Gotta find a place around here where I can try on the HH stuff.

Sweet! Nothing gets better than FREE, even if it doesn't work. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom