drysuit undies challenge....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

airstream:
Jeremy, why can't you use a commercially available product?????

That's where the "challenge" come in my friend.:wink:

Jeremy

Actually I'm trying to find out the best way to keep warm, keep great mobility for the lowest price, using everyday materials.

I use a layer of polypropylene long underwear, and then Polartec 200 pants and Polartec 300 jacket. I really like this system because it travels well, and if the sun is out during a surface interval, I have the option of removing the jacket.

JKSteger:
I've spent a lot of $$$ for undergarments for my drysuit in the past so I thought I would throw out a challenge.

Shell type drysuit
45 min. bottom time in 50F water. Avg. depth 45'

We cannot use any comercially available undergarments made for diving. No Weezles, DUI, Bare, etc Thinsulate, etc. We can use items found at outdoor stores, hunting/fishing, etc. to layer to keep warm.
Also mobility is a top priority. No use using so many layers you cannot move!

What would you use?

I would use...
Underarmor Cold Gear tops/bottoms (Base)
Expidition weight RedHead PolyPro's from Bass Pro Shop (Mid)
Fleece pullover with fleece pants (top layer)

...I've never used this setup but it seems like it would keep me warm.

Just for fun I would like to know what you all would recommend or actually use.

Just for fun...
Jeremy

I would personally freeze using what you mentioned and have done exactly that. Now, if i am doing a busy dive with a long swim to see something then maybe I can take it for a while but if I am shooting photos or just sitting around creature watching like I usually do, then I would freeze.

I basically wear all you mentioned and my Bare undies and I still get chilled on a low cal dive. This is going to be a very personal thing just like with wet suits, even when you add the dry suit factor, especially shell suits. JMHO.

I am looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with though...:wink:

Here is my review aobut UA Cold Gear as a base layer.

I picked up an UA Hot Gear last summer because I used to sweat a lot before getting into a water. I have used it with a 300g fleece (softwear). It works great at the surface, but it really gave me a chill in UW. It was a big mistake....

Second, I took a UA Cold Gear on fall and try it with an Weezle. The Cold Gear made me more chill. The bottom line is that it works as advertized when you sweat due to some activity. However, if there is no heat exchange in UW (no sweat). It made you more chill based on my experience. So, I picked up a mid-weight fleece from a local sportwear shop (Dicks: Good name).

YMWV...

Argon gas in the suit...makes cheap alternatives for undies a bit warmer.

I stopped using UA Cold Gear after my Cave 2 class. This stuff made me colder on longer dives even though the water temps were around 68-70 degrees. I have switched to the Ice Breakers Merino wool. It is expensive, but much better than UA. It also doen't smell as bad when it goes unwashed after a few days in cave country.

JKSteger:
I've spent a lot of $$$ for undergarments for my drysuit in the past so I thought I would throw out a challenge.

Shell type drysuit
45 min. bottom time in 50F water. Avg. depth 45'

We cannot use any comercially available undergarments made for diving. No Weezles, DUI, Bare, etc Thinsulate, etc. We can use items found at outdoor stores, hunting/fishing, etc. to layer to keep warm.
Also mobility is a top priority. No use using so many layers you cannot move!

What would you use?

I would use...
Underarmor Cold Gear tops/bottoms (Base)
Expidition weight RedHead PolyPro's from Bass Pro Shop (Mid)
Fleece pullover with fleece pants (top layer)

...I've never used this setup but it seems like it would keep me warm.

Just for fun I would like to know what you all would recommend or actually use.

Just for fun...
Jeremy

I have been to 130' @ 45 degrees in a Viking vulkanized rubber suit wearing polypro ski underwear under fleese pants and top and the only cold part was my head that like an idiot, I did not cover. Oh, and std. SCUBA gloves and wool socks over cotton socks.

jjwdiver:
Argon gas in the suit...makes cheap alternatives for undies a bit warmer.

Don't know how much argon costs, but wouldn't the cost difference on the gas soon make up for the cost difference on the undies?

What do you figure the argon costs you per dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom