Drysuit venting -

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP -- I frequently shut my valve when diving dry -- IF I'm shooting images and need to be somewhat vertical! The whole thing about diving dry and the valve is "Take your time, learn your suit and experiment with what works."

I've closed mine any number of times when floating on the surface, for example if waiting for a boat pickup that is going to be delayed. It's always amusing on the next dive, when I can't descend and can't figure out why . . . :)

I never close mine,either. I also descend either horizontal or head first.
I have a wrist valve and I'm considering getting mine moved to the shoulder or adding a second. I'm assuming this isn't difficult and might even be something I could do myself?

The first few DIY repair/modifications on a drysuit are possible and functional, but generally not pretty to look at.

You need a valve, "a hole" and some extra material to put behind the hole and some drysuit glue.

It's not hard, but considering what my DIY dryglove rings looked like, I think I'll send it in next time.

flots

---------- Post added October 25th, 2013 at 12:00 PM ----------

I've closed mine any number of times when floating on the surface, for example if waiting for a boat pickup that is going to be delayed. It's always amusing on the next dive, when I can't descend and can't figure out why . . . :)

That's the best part of the dive!

If there's time, I love to blow up the suit, grab a line on the boat and just float for a while.

:spit: I can see that happening. :banghead:
Myself, some days I feel like a charter member of Brainfarts-R-Us

I'll weigh in here and go against the grain of people who leave the valve open. Since I shoot both photos and video, I try to get neutral at whatever depth I am at and then open it just enough to allow venting if I ascend. As much as being perfectly flat and horizontal works most of the time, while wedging through dense kelp and tilting to get good shots the last thing I need it to go "arm up" and lose my buoyancy. Sure I have to adjust it a bit more frequently, but all the way open would not work for me.

Also in the other camp. Dive with the valve closed most times. Found that way too often I was in a position to take a shot that ended up with the drysuit venting when I didn't want it to. Instead of a shoulder twist to vent, or in my case a raised arm (I use a wrist valve) I now open the valve, vent, then reclose. Don't find it particularly inconvenient, but would not recommend it to a dry suit beginner as it does take a second or two longer to start venting. Also will open the valve and leave it open if that makes sense for what I am doing, but normally it is closed.

Hi Michael, - I don't agree with you, you can still dive dry and safely maintain a horizontal trim, and I would suggest that is the 'proper' way to dive with a DS.

Phil,

That's exactly what I said :). Letterboy was saying he descends vertically and squishes his junk. I was simply reiterating what NWGD said about horizontal being the right way.

Fully open valve here most of the time unless I want to go head up for whatever reason and then I just close it down a bit. I descend in a horizontal or head down position.

I think it's pretty simple really.

Firstly learn to understand how your body position effects the dumping of air. When it's not appropriate to change your position to control dumping, just close the valve down a bit.

Bluey

Closed or slightly open.
Open works if I am only maintaining horizontal trim but if I am working or shooting video at angles I don't want to stop or avoid orientation because I'm venting.

I also dislike the word automatic. It conjures some image that the valve is intelligently adjusting buoyancy. I can just hear some guy on a boat saying: "I dunno, just set it on automatic and let's go divin.. I ain't got all day."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom