Drysuit with no LP nozzle or exhaust valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba diving is done at ambient pressure. There is no extra pressure exerted on a drysuit at depth.

Drysuits designed for surface or diving use are available in a variety of materials and thicknesses. Public safety organizations often prefer to use heavier, thicker material for puncture resistance and durability but sometimes they also use thin shell suits depending on requirements.
Your first sentence is wrong!

You have obviously never been subjected to drysuit squeeze at depth under the pressure of multiple atmospheres.

Your first sentence is wrong!

You have obviously never been subjected to drysuit squeeze at depth under the pressure of multiple atmospheres.
My first sentence was correct. The pressure inside and outside the drysuit is the same regardless of depth. Both sides are always at ambient pressure. There is no extra pressure on the drysuit itself.
Drysuit squeeze and avoidance thereof is a separate issue.

May not be as easy as it sounds!

Dry suits for scuba diving are designed so that when properly fitted there is little chance of of air being trapped causing positive buoyancy conditions. These suits are also designed to be used with compatible and effective under-garments.

Further, using additional ballast in order to get a too large or improperly fitting dry suit to become neutral is very dangerous.

I would strongly suggest abandoning the idea altogether and purchase a suit which is being used for what it was designed for.

I have seen many drysuits with no valves, designed to be used for kayaks, and valves or no valves, these suits would be totally useless, not to mention dangerous for use as a scuba diving drysuit.
Have you read the thread? This has all been covered.
If you need to go to extents such as this in order to save money, I'm suggesting scuba diving may not be for you.
If you comment on posts without reviewing existing responses and disparage posters interested in saving money on their dive gear, I'm suggesting posting on scubaboard may not be for you.

I wonder if it has a zipper not designed to be waterproof.
My son is a dinghy sailor here in Chicago so I'm pretty familiar with surface drysuits. Come to think of it, my avatar is him jumping into Lake Michigan in his first drysuit.

They definitely have waterproof zippers. Really the only difference other than the lack of a valve may be the seals at the extremities. The wrist seals are normally about the same, but the neck seals tend to be biased a bit more towards comfort and probably would leak at depth. Remember these are made to be worn with life jackets and so the neck area isn't expected to be underwater. Most of the suits have latex booties, but some just have an ankle seal which would also be a leak source.

My first sentence was correct. The pressure inside and outside the drysuit is the same regardless of depth. Both sides are always at ambient pressure. There is no extra pressure on the drysuit itself.
Drysuit squeeze and avoidance thereof is a separate issue.
If the pressure was the same on both sides, there would be no squeeze.

Have you read the thread? This has all been covered.

If you comment on posts without reviewing existing responses and disparage posters interested in saving money on their dive gear, I'm suggesting posting on scubaboard may not be for you.
Well then your question has been answered and reinforced!

Now you should know what to do and what not to do, proceed as you see fit.

All you need to do now is to be able to afford a dry suit intended for scuba diving.

My email was intended as helpful information, but disparaging works both ways.

In my AO, there was an evangelical preacher who used to use the local rivers / lakes to baptize members of his flock. He special ordered just such a drysuit, no valves, but then had to leave town suddenly and never picked it up from the LDS. Only problem was that nobody would buy it, even if the LDS did the valve install gratis. The reason: Preacher was 6'9" and over 350 Lbs.

In my AO, there was an evangelical preacher who used to use the local rivers / lakes to baptize members of his flock. He special ordered just such a drysuit, no valves, but then had to leave town suddenly and never picked it up from the LDS. Only problem was that nobody would buy it, even if the LDS did the valve install gratis. The reason: Preacher was 6'9" and over 350 Lbs.
Hmmm.... that length would work, but it might be just a bit baggy.... :happywave:

Final update for everyone. I found an experienced diver who was willing to trade me my drysuit (the surface one without the valves) for one of his that was made for diving, which helped both in not having to buy a new one (which I was preparing to do, but not having to spend that money definitely didn't hurt my feelings!) and be able to dive safely.

I start my drysuit course in a couple weeks and will be ready to go for this winter! Thank you to everyone who offered feedback and advice, especially to those who did so without being condescending or judging for my lack of experience (the reason we ask questions!) or trying to dive safely without spending more money than necessary. I appreciate you all!

Back
Top Bottom