Drysuit with no LP nozzle or exhaust valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba quotes $200
I'm pretty sure that is for replacing and installing valves in existing valve ports. Adding new valve ports will add significantly to the cost.

See the section on "Relocating Valves" $110 each.

Dive Right In Scuba quotes $200 + shipping for Si-Tech valve & inflator, installed. (See the Drysuit Repair section.)
I've been given a tour of their shop. It's an impressive operation. Give them a call to find out what it will cost to add valves (instead of updating/swapping valves).

As an aside, they also do their OW classes in drysuits which I think is a genius move for a midwestern dive shop. The traditional shops around here relied on initial gear sales and packaged dive trips instead of creating local divers.

I'm pretty sure that is for replacing and installing valves in existing valve ports. Adding new valve ports will add significantly to the cost.

See the section on "Relocating Valves" $110 each.
Punch a hole, done. Doesn't sound significant to me. Relocation involves a patch. Regardless, hopefully the OP will report back after calling them.

Wanted to update everyone with what I've found out:

It is a surface drysuit, designed for snorkeling and/or sailing. Dive Right In  could install the required valves, but it wouldn't hold up well for what I would be doing. So I will look to sell it and will just need to bite the bullet and purchase a new drysuit.

Thank you everyone who offered help, suggestions, and advice. I appreciate it!

Wanted to update everyone with what I've found out:

It is a surface drysuit, designed for snorkeling and/or sailing. Dive Right In  could install the required valves, but it wouldn't hold up well for what I would be doing. So I will look to sell it and will just need to bite the bullet and purchase a new drysuit.

Thank you everyone who offered help, suggestions, and advice. I appreciate it!

Interesting....the suit should be the same as a diving drysuit just minus the inflator and dump valves. Did DRIS give any indication what "wouldn't hold up well" for what you would be doing?

Also, I am pretty sure giving away usable but unneeded state/city/municipality owned gear to a buddy, that was purchased with a federal/state grant is not the appropriate way to dispose of said gear. You should return the suit to your friend and politely tell him to have it processed through official channels.

-Z

Interesting....the suit should be the same as a diving drysuit just minus the inflator and dump valves. Did DRIS give any indication what "wouldn't hold up well" for what you would be doing?

Also, I am pretty sure giving away usable but unneeded state/city/municipality owned gear to a buddy, that was purchased with a federal/state grant is not the appropriate way to dispose of said gear. You should return the suit to your friend and politely tell him to have it processed through official channels.

-Z
They didn't say specifically, but my guess is that it is thinner material and wasn't designed for the additional pressures of diving.

And when I was given the equipment he told me that I needed to keep everything for 1 year but then after that anything that wasnt useful I could sell and put towards the purchase of gear I could put towards public safety diving, so from what he informed me selling it to purchase an appropriate one would be ok.

Good advice to make sure everything is ion the up and up though, I will double check with him again before I do anything.

They didn't say specifically, but my guess is that it is thinner material and wasn't designed for the additional pressures of diving.
Scuba diving is done at ambient pressure. There is no extra pressure exerted on a drysuit at depth.

Drysuits designed for surface or diving use are available in a variety of materials and thicknesses. Public safety organizations often prefer to use heavier, thicker material for puncture resistance and durability but sometimes they also use thin shell suits depending on requirements.

Ooooh, good suggestion. I will take it to my local dive shop and have them take a look at it and see what it will cost to install them! I am sure that would be much cheaper than buying a new suit, and I would like to do my drysuit training in the suit I will be using if possible. Thank you for the idea!
May not be as easy as it sounds!

Dry suits for scuba diving are designed so that when properly fitted there is little chance of of air being trapped causing positive buoyancy conditions. These suits are also designed to be used with compatible and effective under-garments.

Further, using additional ballast in order to get a too large or improperly fitting dry suit to become neutral is very dangerous.

I would strongly suggest abandoning the idea altogether and purchase a suit which is being used for what it was designed for.

I have seen many drysuits with no valves, designed to be used for kayaks, and valves or no valves, these suits would be totally useless, not to mention dangerous for use as a scuba diving drysuit.

If you need to go to extents such as this in order to save money, I'm suggesting scuba diving may not be for you.

Dive Safely,

Rose

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom