Question DSV recommendations and experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattvish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi, I'm looking to replace my old Hollis BOV with a DSV. The KISS DSV is nice, but with shipping from the US to Asia or Europe is a bit pricey for what it is. I'm considering the Golem DSV, but it seems a bit heavy/clunky. The DiveSoft DSV looks a bit nicer. Would appreciate opinions and/or recommendations.

Hi, I'm looking to replace my old Hollis BOV with a DSV. The KISS DSV is nice, but with shipping from the US to Asia or Europe is a bit pricey for what it is. I'm considering the Golem DSV, but it seems a bit heavy/clunky. The DiveSoft DSV looks a bit nicer. Would appreciate opinions and/or recommendations.
Golem is the sort of go to, and seemed fine to me, I have occasionally seen SH Ouroboros or Dräger, both of which are good, maybe ring the fella at Narked @ 90, he used to have stock your other option (although European) is that “tecme.de” but you’ll have import duty obviously,

I replaced my revo dsv with the dive soft version and have been quite happy with it. It’s very easy to service and the nerd/hud attachment works well. I will say it suffers from the same issue as all of the models that open/close vertically. I have been considering trying the golem for that reason, but I am a constant tinkerer.

The Divesoft unit gets you the face MAV's which are a huge upgrade IMO. If you're taking the step backwards from a BOV to a DSV that's the only one that I would seriously consider because of those MAV's.
I am curious why you are going away from a BOV, not the direction I would go

The Divesoft unit gets you the face MAV's which are a huge upgrade IMO. If you're taking the step backwards from a BOV to a DSV that's the only one that I would seriously consider because of those MAV's.
I am curious why you are going away from a BOV, not the direction I would go
Some people move away from BOV’s as it’s potentially more connections so more failure points, however for those venturing on to mainly hypoxic mixes it stops the potential of breathing it at the surface. (This is my understanding)

I am curious why you are going away from a BOV
I'm a new Mod-1 Spirit diver looking to streamline my unit and master the DSV bailout. Also thinking of ditching the ADV for even fewer hoses (and no click-clack ADV noise :wink:). The Hollis BOV is okay but prone to free-flow and servicing it (ordering parts from the US) is a hassle. I'm not planning on using hypoxic mixes soon, aiming for Mod-2 in about 2 years, then reconsidering the BOV. I believe mastering skills and confidence over relying on the ADV and 'sanity breath' before switching to OC reg is safer in the long run. Curious if my approach makes sense and happy to discuss it here

Seems Michael Lombardi has unveiled a new one, which looks good.

Attachments

• DC6974DF-64FC-4275-B7E3-9C1333B13781.png
    DC6974DF-64FC-4275-B7E3-9C1333B13781.png
    149.8 KB · Views: 48
  • B0D3193E-4A60-4309-98F3-4DD9E8659CCF.png
    B0D3193E-4A60-4309-98F3-4DD9E8659CCF.png
    201.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 3670474C-80AF-4F5D-B202-A4D108EC5F0B.png
    3670474C-80AF-4F5D-B202-A4D108EC5F0B.png
    169.9 KB · Views: 46
I'm a new Mod-1 Spirit diver looking to streamline my unit and master the DSV bailout. Also thinking of ditching the ADV for even fewer hoses (and no click-clack ADV noise :wink:). The Hollis BOV is okay but prone to free-flow and servicing it (ordering parts from the US) is a hassle. I'm not planning on using hypoxic mixes soon, aiming for Mod-2 in about 2 years, then reconsidering the BOV. I believe mastering skills and confidence over relying on the ADV and 'sanity breath' before switching to OC reg is safer in the long run. Curious if my approach makes sense and happy to discuss it here
Yes absolutely, my mindset is that you shouldn’t alter a set up with this regard until the time is right and if it offers a positive in return that can out weigh the consequences, until a diver feels they are going to go down the hypoxic route there is no benefit other than cancelling a couple of failure points, but until a diver is very comfortable with having no chance of a sanity breath before bailing out then I would say it’s not really worth it, everything is personal choice though, so someone on mod1 with a DSV shouldn’t be criticised as long as they are aware of this pitfall,
As for deleting ADV, well again it’s personal choice, the kiss classic was fully manual and a cracking piece of kit, the Ouroboros could be run fully manual or fully auto and you switch between as desired, if you get in to rapid descents I find the ADV isn’t usually fast enough anyway so you have to inject as you go to aid the loop volume anyway.

Seems Michael Lombardi has unveiled a new one, which looks good.
Interesting. It looks like a clone of the dive soft but with different hose adaptors.

No BOV is a bad idea.

Hypercarbia, hypoxia, and hyperoxia all can create conditions where you are unable physically or mentally to make a switch from the loop to a separate 2nd stage.

Configure your great right and issues like “it isn’t streamlined” and “it’s uncomfortable” arent issues anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom