Question DSV recommendations and experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No BOV is a bad idea.

Hypercarbia, hypoxia, and hyperoxia all can create conditions where you are unable physically or mentally to make a switch from the loop to a separate 2nd stage.

Configure your great right and issues like “it isn’t streamlined” and “it’s uncomfortable” arent issues anymore.
Well as I said you must make your own informed decision based on your own preferences, I personally don’t like BOV’s (and I have bailed out in anger a couple of times) but then I’m pretty experienced and do a lot of hypoxic stuff, one thing I would say with regard a lot of things is that it’s a chemistry not necessarily a science when it comes to gear config, I also like stacking bailouts rather than left lean right rich, and purely out of coincidence I think those two aspects go together.

I switched from a BOV to dsv/necklace after getting a co2 hit at 300ft in a cave. My mind didnt consider the bov a possibility as every nerve was telling me to rip it out of my mouth.
makes sense as you literally have a BOV on your neck
the problem is people with a DSV and an available second stage elsewhere i.e. tucked away on a cylinder. during a CO2 hit not that easy to select between the right cylinder and the decompression gas ^^.

like you I had a CO2 hit - decided to use a BOV.
(and took the time to figure out why I got CO2).

Matan.

makes sense as you literally have a BOV on your neck
the problem is people with a DSV and an available second stage elsewhere i.e. tucked away on a cylinder. during a CO2 hit not that easy to select between the right cylinder and the decompression gas ^^.

like you I had a CO2 hit - decided to use a BOV.
(and took the time to figure out why I got CO2).

Matan.
Correct, I completely agree with you, if it suits you then stick with it. If you run a DSV I’d always advocate stacking bailout, the reg available on the top cylinder is the one to breathe, the right rich left lean was taught back in the day on open circuit and as you’ll know the dangers of ccr (co2 build up being one) are not the same as OC, so the confusion wasn’t a problem, there has been some speculation when a ccr diver has toxed on bailout that it was to do with the rich being on the right and most people been right handed and thus (as Co2 effects are starting) the diver goes in to the natural state of right handed,,,
Before BOV,s were a thing it was normal to have the deep bailout reg on a necklace like you do with the secondary in a twinset configuration, there’s nothing to say you shouldn’t now, it’s all personal preference. It all comes down to the diver,

Hi, I'm looking to replace my old Hollis BOV with a DSV. The KISS DSV is nice, but with shipping from the US to Asia or Europe is a bit pricey for what it is. I'm considering the Golem DSV, but it seems a bit heavy/clunky. The DiveSoft DSV looks a bit nicer. Would appreciate opinions and/or recommendations.
Out of the two, I'd go with a DiveSoft due to its nice NERD mount. However, it is stiff.

Get two units of whatever you choose. That way you always have a spare while one is on the bench.

Back
Top Bottom