Duane or Spiegel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just did both this summer for the first time. I enjoyed the Speigel more. The Duane is very cool espically with the crows nest but the current was huge. Lots of bigggg reef fish. I think the Spiegel is a little better because of the pilot house, wheel house and huge cranes. If you plan it right you can see all of these in one big circle pattern around the superstructure. Also, there is a huge turtle and huuuuge goliath grouper on the SG. Both have good photo and video opps. The Benwood is fantstic. Try it in the day, then do it that night. What a difference.

I'll take the Duane for $2000 Alex (it's all about the growth).

BTW, there's another cool wreck off Islamorada called the Eagle you would also like.

Embarressingly, I have not yet dived the Eagle off Islamorada. I must go out with Conch Republic and remedy this deficiency very soon.

After 20 dives on the Spiegel and 19 on the Duane, I have a few observations. Under good conditions of light current and good visibility, the dives on the Spiegel Grove and the Duane are a piece of cake. I have dived both with no current and it is absolutely fantastic. On the other hand, with brisk current, both dives can be challenging to the most experienced diver. The most challenging dive I've had was on the Duane with my mask ripped from my face and my regulator purging continuously. Fortunately, once you make it down to the wrecks, it is simple to stay out of the current to enjoy the rest of the dive. Under most circumstances, the operator will call the dive when the environment is very harsh unless the divers are experienced and confident.

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom