Duck feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just bought these today (plus a pair of Aqualung rockets) $30 for both:

Picturez044.jpg

Can anyone tell me about them (age, era etc...)? They have the following markings:
Duck Feet
Pure gum rubber
The Spearfisherman
Huntington beach Cal.
Large
Top side (does this mean that is the top side? It seems opposite to most other fins)

They're horrible fins, if you try to use them you will die. If you send them to me I will arrange for a suitable disposition so that no one gets hurt. Be safe ... do not wait too long!

P.S. "Top Side" means "this side up" when walking in them.

Not sure how old they are but the markings on yours seem to indicate they may have been made for a particular shop, ie, The Spearfisherman. I checked out a pair I have and they are the same except for that designation.
I also have the larger UDT model Actually I have two versions of them One is an AMF Voit UDT model and I have another set exactly like that but it says UDT FIN- CAL Mar. They look to be identical except for the markins. The mold for each is identical except for the wording so I am assuming Voit made these fins and re-branded some for local dealers. Does anyone know if this is correct? Seems that the gum rubber used in my fins holds up well as they are in good, usable shape.
I like the fin and it is a good score. Not too crazy for the Rockets. I have a bunch of them but I like Scubapro jets better. Similar in design but seem to work better.

The top looks like the bottom, but use them as marked. You'll love them, I love mine. Don't bother with the Rockets.

I have seen those before, The Spearfisherman. If the foot pockets and straps are in good shape you have a prize there. The pure gum rubber, paricularly the amber colored versions are highly sought after but given the age of these things even stored well most are actually rotten, if these are not---GREAT!

The top side is the side with the writing on it. I imagine those are as stiff as boards, might need some fin socks.

N

The Spearfisherman Company is one of the oldest skin diving equipment manufacturers in the world, trading between 1945 and 1955, when the owner Arthur Brown sold the firm to Swimaster, later absorbed by Voit. It was based in Huntington Beach in California. The company made Duck Feet fins and also a range of shorty and full-length drysuits, advertised in the first issue of "Skin Diver". You can see some of their advertisements at

Skin Diving History - Spearfisherman - Mfg & Retailers

They prided themselves on being the original makers of Duck Feet, as the image below on the Skin Diving History site eloquently shows:
31.jpg

The 1955 edition of the Carriers' book "Dive" records that The Spearfisherman Company Duck Feet fins, made from "true gum rubber, translucent", retailed in four sizes at $8.95, with a fifth, extra large, going for $12.95.

Hey Dale:

Those are neat fins! The nostalgia that they bring of great years past I simply can't put into words. Of course I'm only 35 :popcorn:; I was speaking of reading about the great years past! :D Those fins look similar to the old skool UDT fins from WWII. They also look to be in great shape and I think you got an awesome deal. Congratulations!

With kindest regards,
Thomas

Thanks all for your replies.

David, does that mean these things are from 1955 or older? That would seem incredible as the rubber is in very good to excellent shape, supple with no cracking at all.
There were some other fins there as well (second hand shop) and some old masks. Someone must have cleaned out their garage. I think I will go back and see what's what and at least take some pic's for analysis.

Thal, it's nice to know someone cares about my welfare. Can you dispose of an old reg set for me as well? It seems "all mixed up" as it has two hoses but only one mouthpiece.

I have an identical pair except they are labled Swimaster. Pure gum rubber in excelent like new condition.

The new versions that are USA made, vss had them for a while, they are very nice, brand new complete with Voit box. Of the UDTs I have owned I like the new reproduction Voit UDT best. The ones from Mexico are awfully stiff.

Body surfers have a cult thing going with them and that is their major use, vintage body surfing.

http://flexspoon.com/pics/udt/udt1.htm

The Deet's version came in the marbled version and the black version, they are pure natural rubber and smell like the smoke from the rubber pots.

VOIT UDT Duck Feet Fins

I enjoy using mine but lately I tend to use the Nemrod Super A Professionals more.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom