DUI vs. BARE drysuits, best reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried on a DUI CL 450 rental suit at my LDS today and it was a Large, fit perfect. I'm in love.
I've been seeing alot of DUIs on sale on E-bay and I would like to find a CL 450 in a large for a good deal.
However DUI,(according to my LDS) will be offering a finance program starting in Jan. '08, next month, I may go that route also. I'll be getting my DS C-card after the holidays so I can't wait to be low and dry and warm in '08.

To Calvin, I too now am a fan of DUI suits. I tried on a CL 450 rental suit in Large at my LDS and it fit me perfect. I'm in love with that suit.
I will be getting my DS C-card after the 1st of the year. So I will be looking to get a CL 450 then.
My LDS said that DUI will be having a finance program for their suits starting in Jan. '08
That will be a big help along with the discount that my LDS will be giving me.
I tried on a pair of Atomic Smoke on the Water fins in XL with the DUI Rock boots and they fit perfect also.

Borg,
Have you dove the CLX 450? It is a very thick,heavy suit. I thought I wanted a CLX 450 too until I dove it. It was a very uncomfortable dive. I then dove the TLS350 and found it to be a much better fitting suit and a whole lot lighter. I guess what I am saying is if you haven't had a change to dive them both yet wait until you have before shelling out the cash. Good luck..

I will check out the 350. They have one for rental also at my LDS in a Large. I also noticed on the DUI website that the 350 is cheaper than the 450(about $300). AND my LDS gives a discount off the MSRP as well. Thanks for the input.
I want to be dry and warm, but if comfort ain't in the dive, where's the fun?

Borg - I dove a DUI 350 at the dog days and ended up buying 2 Bare suits - on crushed neo (XCD2) and one Trilam (HD Tech). Its not a fair comparison to compare any DUI to the Nexgen - the better comparison is the DUI to the Bare HD. The NexGen is a low cost bilam suit. The HD is a full Trilam, much better fitting, with the telscoping torso features that the DUI has.

The way I looked at it - DUI is the Harley of drysuits - your paying a 25% price premium just to be a member of the club. The Bare is the Goldwing - cheaper, smoother, better ride - just doesn't have all the hot leatehr clad babes that go along with the lifestyle - but hey - thats what I bought my OMS BP for ...

You can bargain hunt and get a nice used DUI, but if you want it to fit perfectly I suggest you get a signature series, unless you're extremely lucky and fit right into a stock size. I likely won't ever dive a different brand of suit after owning a DUI.

Here's my review on the CF200x.

Good luck with the search. I'm also a fan of getting a less expensive starter suit till you know exactly what you want!

I think I spoke too soon. I ended up getting a Diving Concepts suit after my DUI's zipper went bad after about 2 years of diving. I love the DC, and replaced my zipper on the DUI. So, now I have 2 awesome drysuits!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom