DUI zip seals for the D1 Hybrid drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJMike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone know if the wrist seals that come with the Waterproof D1 Hybrid drysuit can be removed and replaced with DUI's zip seals? I have a new D1 Hybrid with about 20 dives on it and every single dive so far the wrist seals have leaked. I've had dry suit repair guys look at, Waterproof had it sent out to one of their repair facilities (who could not find a leak).

I've personally talked to two other D1 users who both said the same thing. After today's dives, I could actually wring water out of one of my undergarmet sleeves.

The owners of Lehigh Valley Dive Center, where I bought the suit, is a zero on the customer service scale. Waterproof seems interested in helping, and if the seals can be replaced I will talk to them about doing that.

I have never dove a Waterproof suit, only drooled over them. But I have a DUI with zipseals. The suit cuffs would have to be the exact same diameter for it to work. A mm too big or too small and they won't work.

Hi NJMike -

This is Kathy Long with DUI - Diving Unlimited International. I came across your thread so I thought I would respond. DUI ZipSeals are a patented system and only available on DUI drysuits. For the ZipSeal system to work your drysuit sleeve must be fitting with the sleeve portion of the locking mechanism. Once this is in place you can fit a DUI latex wrist ZipSeal (and very soon a silicon wrist ZipSeal) or ZipGloves. The system is two parts. Your Waterproof drysuit would not have the DUI ZipSeal system on it.

Just an FYI on leaks on a drysuit. You might have prominent tendons. You can check this by making a fist and curling your fingers up towards you. Look down and see if the tendons on your wrist make a 'channel'. If this happens try moving the seal further up the wrist. This might get you a drier dive. We have a short video up on this at DOG TV - prominent tendons? Try this..

Good luck!

Kathy

Install some Si-Tech dry gloves and enjoy dry hands and undergarments. If you put the SI-Tech cuff mount system on you could also use silicon wrist seals.

I've personally talked to two other D1 users who both said the same thing.

As a Zip-Seal user, I can personally say the same thing.

---------- Post Merged at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:56 PM ----------

After today's dives, I could actually wring water out of one of my undergarmet sleeves.

Which one?

Thanks to everyone who answered. Here are my replies:

fire_diver - yes, I expected that but have no way of knowing if the sleeves are the same diameter. That's why I am asking...hope to find someone who does know.

kathydui - LOL....thanks for answering. I have watched several of your videos over the last 24 hours. You seem very comfortable in front of the camera! Now, yes, I did figure out that the existing inner seal would have to be removed and then the DUI inner seal would have to be installed (glued?). Obviously, it would have to be the same size or so close that it would work. On the tendons...yes, I've been down that discussion about a hundred times. I walked down in the water on our entry platform, held my arms vertical and then let them down in the water....far enough for the water to rise above the sleeve cuffs BUT BELOW THE SILICONE SEAL WHERE IT TOUCHES MY WRIST. I stayed in the water for 5 minutes or so and yes, water got in. Not a lot, to be sure, after 5 minutes, but that was my confirmation that it is NOT from tendon channels, since I eliminated that by not letting the water go above the seals.

Peter_C - yes, I saw in the Waterproof forum (I'm reporting and updating the problem there) that SI-Tech has come out with a dry glove system for the Waterproof drysuit. I watched the video and downloaded the owners manual. Their system is using the same ring system that is in the suit now - the only difference that I can see is that they have a dry glove that attaches to the ring as opposed to Waterproof's wrist seal. My fear is that, since it is the same ring system, that it will not fix the problem.

I did talk to Ken at the LVDC on Friday. He is a lot of help, a nice guy and seemed genuinely interested in helping. He said that he once had a Viking suit that had a similar problem and a pressure test would not find the leak because the pressure exerted on the inside of the suit forced the fabric together where the leak was so that air did not escape.

I thought that might be the case with my problem, but I now think that it's the ring system as opposed to a rip in the fabric.

I do have the option of getting the SI-Tech dry gloves but I can't afford to spend a lot of money trying things out, just hoping it will work, especially if it is using the same seal system.

KathyDUI....can the DUI seals be ordered separately by any diver to have installed on his/her drysuit? Are you saying that it can only be installed on a DUI suit?

Hi NJMike -

DUI will only install DUI ZipSeals on a DUI drysuit. And you are correct the sleeve diameter would need to match the size of the ring.

One other item... is to pressure test your drysuit inside out. We always do this at DUI. If the drysuit is right-side out the seams or fabric can push against the leak and make it impossible to find. So we suggest that anybody testing their drysuit turn it inside out first. Takes more time but is worth it. We have a video on how to do this on our website at DOG TV - Drysuit leak test / do-it-yourself. We also have a repair outline that is available for download at http://www.dui-online.com/pdf/drysuit_repair_outline.pdf .

One other quick suggestion... and this would probable take a dive buddy.... get back into your drysuit and go down to the platform. Put your arms up and spray the area you suspect with soapy water. See if any little bubbles appear. You could also put a soup can or something in the end of your sleeve/wrist seal and put just enough water in the sleeve to get past the ring system. See if any water comes through.

Evad - those ZipSeal connections should be completely dry. It's important to always check the connection between dives. If you are having an issue please contact our Support@DUI-Online.com . We stand behind our products 100%.

Hope some of this helps.

Kathy

NJMike, I would caution you about DUIs ZipSeals. In my opinion they are okay, and the marketing looks great, but after using them in the field it just takes one knock and the dry-glove (or latex seal, whatever you've installed into the ring on the suit) will pop out. Now imagine this feeling underwater...

It's especially bad when the the rest of the team is waiting for you to fix the damned seal while they are ready to go (possibly without you.) This can be especially difficult in colder climates where you have "sausage fingers" from the thick insulation inside dry gloves.

Northern Diver's system I believe is very good, although I've not tried it personally:

[video=youtube;brCJ3lMyK2k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brCJ3lMyK2k[/video]

Advantages are that you can have standard latex seals on your suit, and have rings installed over those. Now you have a dry glove and some more protection should the glove puncture or pop-off. Another advantage is that they blow DUI's flimsy locking rings out of the water.

I am starting to believe that DUI ZipSeals were a mistake, and even wondering whether it's possible to convert a suit back to latex wrist seals?

I have no complaints about the neck seal, which uses a dual-locking rings (locking rings on both sides.) This has never ever leaked or otherwise malfunctioned. I am really disappointed with the flimsy and cheap feeling (though not price) of the wrist ZipSeals.
:shakehead:

I would probably consider sending the suit back to have the wrist ZipSeals removed so that I could use the Northern Diver system, but then DUI would probably keep the suit part of the ring system, which I paid for, out of fear that someone, somewhere might install it on a non-DUI suit. :rolleyes:

NJMike, I would caution you about DUIs ZipSeals. In my opinion they are okay, and the marketing looks great, but after using them in the field it just takes one knock and the dry-glove (or latex seal, whatever you've installed into the ring on the suit) will pop out.

bulls@#$

I can't speak to your experiences with the wrist ZipSeals and I'll admit that they do work fine most of the time. However, I have had a few problems with the seals and pop-out (usually when I'm sliding back into a one-piece hogarthian-style harness.)

Maybe I just have bad luck with the rings getting caught on something, although I'm as careful as is possible with them when doning gear. I always inspect the rings and make sure there's nothing damaged or trapped between or inside the rings.

In my opinion the wrist ZipSeals are flimsy and better solutions exist. That's my opinion and experience; you're free to have your own. :)

I will give DUI credit for the neck ZipSeal, that is really robust, because it's using two locking rings; one on each side of the seal. If only the wrist seals were designed like this (and perhaps also an oval shape.)

However DUI seem to be extremely slow in terms of delivering new developments. See silicone seals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom