Dumaguete, Apo Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

everywhere you dive in the philippines is a "so-called Marine Park" with fisherman every where in it. sometimes you hear dynamite explosions or see fishing nets. Its no wonder why all you see are common tiny reef fish amd coral cemetaries. I don't mind paying a marine park fee
when it truly is a marine park. not a local government scam to line there own pockets without any regard for the "marine park".
i've experienced hearing dynamites underwater but never in a sanctuary.

care to share where you have experienced that?

I was diving Apo last "low season"- August and I distinctly remember them assessing the Marine Park fee ONLY at certain dive sites around the Island...apparently some sites are "in" the park and others are not! Seemed a bit odd, perhaps that's changed?

I was charged for using my camera (in the "Park" sites) as well...a bit "over the top" but what are you gonna do...?

warning; if you want to go and dive Apo Island be prepared to bend over and take it!

you actually did this? :shakehead:

sad to hear about what happened to you. but i think most of the people here have been to Dumaguete and had some really nice diving & nice food.

everywhere you dive in the philippines is a "so-called Marine Park" with fisherman every where in it. sometimes you hear dynamite explosions or see fishing nets. Its no wonder why all you see are common tiny reef fish amd coral cemetaries. I don't mind paying a marine park fee
when it truly is a marine park. not a local government scam to line there own pockets without any regard for the "marine park".

which places have you been diving? dude, there's more than 7,000 islands in the country. Chill!

don't let your bad experience in once place cloud your opinion for the whole country. tell us what you want to see. i'm sure there are a lot of us here who'd love to help you better enjoy your trip.

i think coconut point and cogon point arent part of the sanctuary. thats why there were some fish traps underwater. but corals there were still very healthy when i dove there last year. big fishes too! bumphead parrotfish, napoleon wrasse, some mackerel and endless procession of jacks. well worth the fees and boat rental!

I was diving Apo last "low season"- August and I distinctly remember them assessing the Marine Park fee ONLY at certain dive sites around the Island...apparently some sites are "in" the park and others are not! Seemed a bit odd, perhaps that's changed?

I was charged for using my camera (in the "Park" sites) as well...a bit "over the top" but what are you gonna do...?

I thought the Park fee was for the Sanctuary site and maybe clown fish city site - they're pretty close. I don't remember getting any sort of fee for my camera but then I had so many charges for lodging and diving I guess I missed it.

One nice advantage is no additional fuel surcharge as it's only a 5-10 minute boat ride anywhere around the island. I used their transfer but I think it included a car ride all the way in to the Dumaguete bus station.

I don't mind paying marine park fees but a fee to use your own camera seems over the top to me.

just to clarify, diving fee Apo is 300 Peso a day, if you use camera it is 50 Peso more per day. NOT the price Skuba Dude tries to spread out. Dude if you paid more you got ripped off AND can't read the signboard at the collector and registration-station (Bantay Dagat house).

The marine sanctuary is on the East side of the Island and there are only a limited amount of divers allowed inside. There is also a extra-charge ti dive it. I personally think it is great for snorkeling but most other sites are more satisfying for divers. The so called Cliown-fish City is more a Clown-fish Village, but still fun to go there occasionally.

Fischermen and some Traps can be found on Cogon and Coconut, as well as at the edge of Rockpoint. This are also the 2 spots where fishing is alowed. No Net-fishing allowed on Apo.

The Marine Sanctuaries around Dumaguete are totally protected areas, no boats, fishing allowed inside. Last month 2 fishermen got arrested in Dauin as they tried to sneak into Dauin North at night with spearguns.... BTW the police was called by their own colleags.

No not everything is perfect in Apo and Duma, but for sure not even close to the picture what SD tries to draw...

cheers

Rhoody

Its no wonder why all you see are common tiny reef fish amd coral cemetaries.

hmm... I don't recall seeing any coral "cemeteries" on Apo Island. Quite the opposite, with some of the largest barrel coral I've seen and healthy sea fans... Only fishermen we saw were local subsistence fishermen in single bangkas.

1463419467_26e3e325d2.jpg

1463422811_b60f595f2d.jpg

rest of my pics from a 2006 trip to Apo Island are here...

I went to Apo island, and all I got was a t-shirt. :D

Back
Top Bottom