Dumaguete, Apo Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was wearing one of my Apo Island t-shirts yesterday and it opened up a nice long conversation with a manager at a sporting goods store. We traded diving stories and places, and I had to say that the diving in the Philippines was world class!

...and yes Shugar, I did add quite a few t-shirts to my collection in PG, thanks to you guys!

I was wearing one of my Apo Island t-shirts yesterday and it opened up a nice long conversation with a manager at a sporting goods store. We traded diving stories and places, and I had to say that the diving in the Philippines was world class!

...and yes Shugar, I did add quite a few t-shirts to my collection in PG, thanks to you guys!
could be worse... MV went to bali and all he got was a rash...

Jag

I've made 2 dive trips to Apo Island and both were well worth my every peso. :thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

I think Paul's Diving in Liberty Lodge is the only operator on the island, but their dive fees are affordable at around P 1,200.00 per dive and this includes the boat ride and services of a dive guide. Marine park fees are P 100 per day and I do not recall being charged any fee for using our underwater camera.

And again, it's all worth it! the reef is just so teeming with life! The ascent points were often in the Sanctuary and I especially love spending SI's there! It's like swimming in a huge bowl of the most colorful salad!! And so far, the largest school of jacks I've seen are those in Cogon! We were there again last February and those meter long critters seemed to be hovering just inches above us!

I can't wait to dive Apo Island again. :D

Speaking of the great diving and t-shirts at Apo Island.
Anybody heard from my so called dive buddy Dennis?

Last edited:
I was on APO 12,13 and 14 June, stayed at APO Island Resort. I cant satisfactorily relay how nice a stay we had. I dived with the resort and had great dives each time. I wasn't charged sanctuary fees except in the Sanctuary, I was doing Video and dont remember being nickeled and dimed on each dive and I dont think the rules support it. Anyway, I enjoyed it soooo much I am having a hard time deciding where to go next(this Thursday) either down to Southern Leyte or back to APO for a repeat....
BTW the food was very nice many guests from Liberty were eating at the APO Resort, but to be fair I did not venture out to the restaurant at Liberty. We also ate a couple of snacks from one of the local Sari Sari store and they were reasonably priced as well..

Two THINGs:
1. Bring mosquito repellant if you are going to hike to the light house or hang out on the beach at night.

2. Pay close attention to battery management if your taking photos or doing video, APO Island Resort runs it's own generators from 6pm till 12AM so bring enough chargers and spares to take care of your needs...

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Apo has been excellent recently. Viz is really good and there's been plenty to see. I must have done 30 or so tech dives there recently and keep enjoying it more and more. And finding some new sites.

Wouldnt mind a trip to southern Leyte either though!

Can I join the tshirt club? Mine has turtles but I bet I overpaid for my Tshirt too ;-). But it came from a delightful village women who grilled freshly caught fish over her fire and only had a dirt floor - glad to spread a few dollars around that village!

I was there June 2nd & Apo is worth every cent. They really respect their sancutary - their attitude is admirable.

If you want to do things cheaper, stay in a homestay in the village & dive at Liberty - spread your $$ around to the locals they are very sweet ;-)! The diving is sooo beautiful - some of the nicest soft corals I have seen!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom