Dumaguete - Malapascua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gee13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just looking at logistics for a trip that combines Dumaguete and Malapascua. If anyone has done it. Consider that Im short of time - and I know there are flights from DM Airport to Cebu Airport.

Is it viable to fly to Cebu Airport from DM Airport and then get a car out to Maya then boat to MP? I see Cebu Air has a flight across which is 30 min. Im imagining if this is possible then I may be able to leave in the early morning and get to MP by early afternoon?

I think the flight from Dumaguete to Cebu is around 8 or 8.30am. Depends on how you want to get from Cebu to Maya. You can do a private transfer which I think (and I'm not 100% - I've never done it) for around 2000php (give or take 500). That'll take 2.5 to 3 hours.

Or you can get the bus which will take, well, anyone's guess...but it's around 4-5.5hrs

How long have you got? Plenty of people seem to be doing that route at the moment, and vice versa.

100% doable. Flight leaves Duma early on Mon/Wed/Fri and arrives in Cebu by 8am assuming no delays. You're in Malapascua for lunch :)

How many dive trips have you got in planning?

In May, I began a whaleshark dive in Oslob at 6am, got on a bus at Oslob on 9:15am, arrived at Cebu South Bus Terminal on 12:20pm, took a taxi to North bus terminal and got on the bus to Maya on 12:45pm. Arrived Maya at 5:15pm and took a boat to Malapascua.

There're frequent AC buses running between Bato and Cebu every 10-15 minutes, which I think is quite comfortable.

If you leave Dumaguete at 7:00am, you can also get to Maya at 5pm by public transportation. By private transportation that would be at least 2 hours faster. By plane it is even better.

Doable is what I like to hear! Its more down the track view Matt, Who knows what rig I will have then - whatever it is Im keen on check out the muck of Dauin and to catch the sharks again, I have no decent photos of those Threshers, would love to see them again. Of course Im always planning 2 trips in advance :wink:

Gee,
Been there done that several times. You have chosen two great places. And fortunately for you two excellent Dive operators are already answering your questions above. Dauin a blind man could get there from the airport, ask you dive op for advice. Malapascua is more timer consuming. If money is no option and time is, do a car/taxi transfer from Cebu to Maya. Taxi will get you to Maya for $75 AUD/USD, but you'll orgranise your own taxi (haggling painful for us Aussies), orgainse your own boat, easy but time consuming. An organised transfer $100 AUD/USD, met at airport taken to boat and all is taken care of. Organised through your dive shop/op....for me this is best.

Your status indicates regular at the pub...on Malapascua you may want to stop in at the Craic bar at Evolution, it is the pub there...this is the best advice you'll get all thread!
Good luck!

Uberdude..cheers...I forgot to mention (unless you had read between the lines) I have already been to Malapascua and yes Ive visited and dived with the Craic heads :D I have hired a private driver who also organises a boat at maya. Last time I did a Malapascua to Moalboal trip. This time I may do Dauin to Malapascua. Just tossing up the idea of air vs land from Dauin to Cebu.. I just realised I may save time with a flight but at a cost as Id lose out on some diving in Dauin with the 24 hr no fly.. unless I just do a couple of shallow dives the day before..

I've made that trip numerous times. I was not aware of the recent flight now available. I have taken the bus from Dumaguette to Cebu and ferry. I prefer the ferry - cooler and a little less time (it won't run on time but then the bus is unpredicable too). I'm usually not that tight on time so I spend a night in Cebu and usually am successfull lately finding a taxi to Maya for 2500php. I usually wait for a public ferry 80php but this last trip they really tried to get me to fund a "special" trip - even a 11:30am. I made it clear (nose to nose) that I would rather pay TSD to come over and get me than pay them for an "special" trip. I ended up paying 100php for a boat - the locals were paying the same as there were about 8 of us. The ferry captains still aren't as bad as Manila taxi drivers.

Hey Dave

Good tip that I didnt know about Oceanjet! Anyway looks like a 1 hour flight is quicker than a 4 hour fast ferry... That way I can get to Malapascua just past lunchtime and get some afternoon/evening diving done!

Just a quick question - Whats September as a month for travel is there a lot of rain? I hear is it still wet season from June?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom