Durability of glue on pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Griff..

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all..

just got my Fourth Element 3mm proteus replaced with a nice shiny new one..

I am contemplating gluing pockets on to this wetsuit and wanted to know peoples views on this, I have access to Dive Rite gear and therefore the pockets, what do you guys think about gluing this on, my main worry is because the suit will also be used for teaching and therefore regular diving, I want to know how you think they will stand up to alot of use.

any input is greatly appreciated

James

Have you felt the Dive Rite Pockets? They're very sturdy stuff. My instructors use plain neoprene pockets that were sewed onto their custom suits. I think it was either 3 or 5mm neoprene that was used to make the pocket. Those have held up really well for the past 7 years.
So I'm sure the Dive Rite Pockets will too, provided you glue them on right.

I use the ones from XS Scuba that I get from Mike at DRIS, The one on my BARE velocity is 6 years old and still going strong. The ones on my Pinnacle 3mm and 5mm Merinos also show no real signs of wear after lots of use and abuse. The key is to be generous with the glue, I use aquaseal, and when you put them on stretch the suit as it would be when you are wearing it. A couple pieces of cardboard and a towel work well for this. Use lots of weight to hold them flat and let em dry 24 hours before messing with em. I'm pretty sure I'd remove a chunk of suit if I tried to pull mine off.

I glued pockets onto a suit twice. Both times, over time, the pockets began to peel down from the upper corners. I think this is due to the stress in that area when one is trying to access or replace items. In cold water, with heavy gloves, it's difficult to be deft. I eventually gave up and sent the suit in and had the pockets sewn on and sealed, which worked very nicely.

I know you said you have access to the DR pockets, but if I were going to try gluing pockets on again, I'd get the DSS pockets that are already mounted on a larger piece of neoprene. That way, the shear stress isn't put onto the glued corners. But those pockets are so expensive that it might be a wash between cheaper pockets and having somebody sew them on for you.

The XS pockets are also neoprene backed. I have installed them on the suits of others as well. Trick is,again, to be generous with the aquaseal and I also run a small bead of it across the top of the pocket after the other application of glue has set. So far after a few years none has started to peel.

I have a Golem Gear pocket on my Pinnacle 5mil and have had no trouble with it, I believe Steven Gamble used neoprene cement/glue to glue it, and I must say the suit is well used!!! Make sure you put the suit on, and then place the pocket and outline it, so you can expand it to roughly the same size and shape when actually applying the pocket/glue

Bad idea as it will compress the neoprene and weaken it on the stitches. A cobbler is unlikely to know just how much tension to put on the stitches. If using Aquaseal, neoprene cement, or drysuit glue there is no need to put a bunch of holes in the suit that you need to try and seal up.

I have Dive Rite pockets on my Pinnacle 3mm suit.
The pockets are on there to stay, but I would not recommend Dive Rite pockets.
They are too small.

-Mitch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom