During my cardio workouts, I sometimes just run out of gas.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CameronMartz:
The timing of your eating might be the problem, combined with the sugar content of the protein bar. Unfortunately, when protein bars are independently tested, many have much more sugar and much less protein than is on the label. If this is the case with your bar (nobody has the guts to post a truly complete list on this), then you could be experiencing "rebound hypoglycemia." This is not a medical condition that a doctor's blood test looks for, but is rather a normal phenomenon due to how our bodies regulate blood sugar.

What happens is that your blood sugar spikes after eating something sugary, usually when you're already hungry. Your body overreacts, pumping too much insulin into the bloodstream to tame the spike. This suppresses your ability to access glycogen and fat stores when exercising, leading to exactly the kind of early-workout bonk you're describing. I see this frequently with clients who drink a sports drink on their way to the gym because they hadn't eaten anything in a while.

It's best to just eat a normal or small lunch an hour before a mid-day workout, not something that comes in a wrapper. Then, follow your workout with a piece of fruit to top of your glycogen stores for your next workout.

Cameron
Thanks Cameron. Lynne was gracious enough to explain all this to me in a PM and I really think this is the problem. I am going to try it your way next week and see what happens. It's funny because I am usually vigilant about reading food labels, but for some strange reason, I "trusted" the "protein" in the "protein bar.":D

Blitz:
When I hit this wall, it is my signal that I need to keep pushing. (I am a hard headed old grunt) Is it ok to push passed that or am hurting myself? I don't want to undermine the rest of my workout.
This feeling I described is entirely different than just being tired. Many times I have pushed myself to finish workouts when I was getting fatigued. This time, I simply could not do it. I am not, and have never been, a long distance runner, so I have no idea what "the wall" feels like. But this was more like a Mack truck hitting me head on. And I did try to go on, rested a minute then tried again, but when the needle is on "E" you gotta get out and push the car to the nearest gas station.

I think you've got it. My wife and I used to have a (very skinny) personal trainer who had a nutritionist background. She also recommended a snack/small meal that was complex carb heavy and had some protein about an hour before a workout. She specifically recommended Cliff bars if we didn't want to bother preparing anything.

Blitz:
When I hit this wall, it is my signal that I need to keep pushing. (I am a hard headed old grunt) Is it ok to push passed that or am hurting myself? I don't want to undermine the rest of my workout.

This wall isn't one you can push through as you truly have no access to your two biggest energy stores. Most people who try end up very, very dizzy, which can potentially turn an otherwise harmless condition into a risky situation.

Also, as pointed out in the OP, rebound hypoglycemia hits relatively early in a workout, long before you have really gotten much done. So, as long as you're not getting dizzy or experiencing other symptoms suggesting a medical issue (confusion, chest pain, yada yada... <g>), pushing through general exercise fatigue is not necessarily a problem.

If this happens every day, though, you have to think about why you run out of fuel before you run out of fitness, so to speak.

Cameron

A little update. I followed Cameron's advice and started eating lunch about an hour before my workout. So, far, so good. I only had trouble one day, but I think I got delayed leaving for the gym and it was almost 2 hours before I started. So, anyway, I just want to say, thanks for the help.

fairybasslet:
I get kind of weak and shaky. It happened yesterday after only about 18 minutes.
I ate breakfast of cereal, strawberries and milk at about 9:30 am. Had a protein bar at 12 noon, got to the gym at about 12:50. I usually eat lunch after I work out.

What time do you wake up in the mornings? I know everyone has heard this a million times, but breakfast IS the most important meal of the day. Your metabolism is at it's highest peak in the morning and slowly slows down through out the day. I recommend eating breakfast within, if time allows, an hour after waking up.

Also, 1500 calories a day? Did you just come up with this or did you talk to a professional? As I'm not a proffesional, I've listened to all the trainers I hang out with. (I'm a Johnny G Spin instructor http://www.spinning.com). Depending on your size, male/female and how much exercise you do, you have to accomadate your food intake.

I notice that you are a smaller female. I know that some recommend 1200 calories or so to lose weight for females. So with you only eating 1500, that should be fine. Again, this does go back to how much excerise you do. Sometimes you have to eat more to lose more. (Sounds strange, but it's true.) You cuold be starving yourself. (Burning more calories then what you consume.) Depending how much muscle mass you have, you might need to up it a few hundred calories. Muscle burns calories, even at rest. So the more muscle you have the more you need to eat to keep "feeding" the muscles.

Again, I think eating properly through out the day will help as well. I personally (at 317lbs and 6' 6") eat around 3200 calories a day. I wake up at 5AM, eat right away. Usually a large bowl of ceral with fruit and drink a glass of whey protien (sometimes 8 egg whites, large bowl of oatmeal and fruit/whey). Go workout, right after head home and drink another glass of whey protien. (About 8:30 or so.) Come 9:30, I eat a protien bar for a snack. About 11:30, I eat lunch (if at home, I drink another glass of whey.) or I double up on chicken or whatever I might be eating. Around 2:30 or 3, I again eat another bar or some fruit as a snack. Then around 6 or so, I eat again, depending on what I feel like. (Mind you, all of my meals are quite large, but my breakfast is usually the largest. big bowls. A big box ot total lasts about two maybe three days. :))

I get the same feeling if I mess a snack or meal. I get easily irratated and feel sick. Maybe I need to go get checked as well, but as long as I eat, I'm alright.

I may have went of subject a little, but I hope this helps you some way. If I needto clarify anyting a little more, please PM me. As I stated, I'm no proffesional, but I listen well and I know what works for me.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom