Dutch Springs Current Water Temps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My readings from two weeks ago pretty much jibe with what Captsaaz reported.

Keep in mind that the temps at DS start falling off quickly this time of year, and we're getting some cold nights this week. I wouldn't be surprised if those numbers drop off ten degrees across the board by this weekend.

The good side is the vis gets better due to less suspended algae and less somewhat suspended divers at this time of year.....

My readings from two weeks ago pretty much jibe with what Captsaaz reported.

Keep in mind that the temps at DS start falling off quickly this time of year, and we're getting some cold nights this week. I wouldn't be surprised if those numbers drop off ten degrees across the board by this weekend.

The good side is the vis gets better due to less suspended algae and less somewhat suspended divers at this time of year.....

I did the hole on the 25th with a 7mm, reef gloves, and no hood. Descended on the crane, swam to the dynamite shed, bunker, and hole (hit 104') before returning to the crane, then platform, then a safety stop. The only thing that got a little uncomfortable was my finger tips, and that wasn't until between the crane and platform after about 40 minutes. Had a total bottom time of 50 minutes, lowest temp was 51*.

yukoneer:
WVMike - I live in clarksburg, west virginia. where's Mt.Storm?

I currently am in rochester, ny for college...

Latitude: 39 12' 40"
Longitude: 79 15' 30"

In Grant County WV, about 45 minutes from Deep Creek Lake, south east of Oakland Md. About 1 and half hours from Morgantown. My dive buddy lives in Clarksburg.

PM me sometime if your home for the weekend.

Check out this website for more info.

http://www.deepwater.org/asa/scuba/mt-storm.html

Mike

CaptSaaz:
Vis vs temp.... Vis vs temp...

I'm comfortable in Dutch down to about 60F in a 7/5mm wetsuit.. when we went below 50ft and the temp dropped to 56F.. down right chilly. Yeah.. ice cream headache. Also felt fatigued after doing that too. Will stay above 50ft for the time being.... please Santa... I want a dry suit for Xmas!

I hope Santa looks out for you! Thing about the drysuit, you still get the ice cream headache in that stripe between the hood and mask, but the rest of you will be toasty.

Coldest I have been in was 41 degrees, you really have to bite the reg cause your lips go numb. I was in a drysuit but wet hood and gloves. After 38 minutes my fingers were numb as well.

There is a 90 foot training platform at Mount Storm and a statue of Santa Clause down there. I always rub his nose for good luck, and last year visited him a few days before Xmas. Next time I see him I will put in a good word for you. :wink:

Mike

What are the wintertime temps there at Mt storm? I am returning to Frederick Md in December and was thinking about heading out there.

Jeff

TheDivingPreacher:
What are the wintertime temps there at Mt storm? I am returning to Frederick Md in December and was thinking about heading out there.

Jeff

It all depends, if all the Units are running the water can be in the 60s. Sometimes the plant is down or not all the units running, then it can get cold. Last winter it seemed at least one unit was always down and water was mid 40s to low 50s.

However, Mount Storm has earned its name, the surface can be down right brutal. Getting out of 60 degree water soaking wet into howling winds and 30 degree air temp is no fun. That is where the drysuit is really nice.

Last year on November 15th the air temp was 38 and bottom temp at 52 feet was 58 degrees.

mike

I defintely am going to dutch springs. leaving rochester, ny 2am, should get there in the morning saturday. dive saturday and sunday morning.

WVMike:
It all depends, if all the Units are running the water can be in the 60s. Sometimes the plant is down or not all the units running, then it can get cold. Last winter it seemed at least one unit was always down and water was mid 40s to low 50s.

However, Mount Storm has earned its name, the surface can be down right brutal. Getting out of 60 degree water soaking wet into howling winds and 30 degree air temp is no fun. That is where the drysuit is really nice.

Last year on November 15th the air temp was 38 and bottom temp at 52 feet was 58 degrees.

mike

The water temps sound great! Around here in the Czech Republic the large quarries stay around 40° at depth year round. But I'm sure that is everywhere. I am hoping to get into a drysuit before December but we will see.

thanks for the info,
Jeff

Back
Top Bottom