E-Learning: the way forward or maybe not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, here's my 2 cents.....I took the e learning route for 2 reasons; 1. I was not aware there was the ability to become certified where I live ( no LDS), 2. My schedule is very challenging

So while someone is wondering of business being taken off the LDS by the agency here it comes an example where there was no LDS and now there is a diver. Considering how many small communities without access to open water do not have an LDS, e-learning seems to create opportunities more than issues to the industry

So while someone is wondering of business being taken off the LDS by the agency here it comes an example where there was no LDS and now there is a diver. Considering how many small communities without access to open water do not have an LDS, e-learning seems to create opportunities more than issues to the industry

I worked at a virtual school for a while, and one of the benefits is that it offers the opportunity for learning specialized classes in areas that would not normally be able to support those classes. The school was for 6-12th grades, and gave kids in smaller schools the chance to take advanced or AP classes, which normally would not be offered at that school because the school would not be able to afford the instructor. And there are other students that just either learn quicker or slower than the standard pace of a classroom. But it wasn't just reading material off the screen and doing some computerized tests. There were weekly phone meetings with the instructor, who made sure the student was actually learning the material, and making sure the student wasn't falling behind, so they also facilitate learning in many different ways. The instructors could also be reached by email or skype, so the student could have pretty immediate responses to questions. On the instructor side, they could handle quite a bit more students than normal classroom sizes. And for classes which had labwork like chemistry; that was facilitated by the local school. In some ways it frees the instructor up a bit too.

It's too bad it isn't just a free option for anyone who signs up for a PADI class with class time remaining the same.

An instructor shouldn't just be standing up there rehashing what the student has already read in the book anyway. I think that is what the instructor did in my class but I'm sure the better instructors use it to add value with demonstrations of physics or other concepts.

I think the reason this is pushing some peoples buttons is just that scuba instruction is already rather limited and the last thing that the industry needs is a way to make certification even quicker and even more inclusive.

Ultimately, you could get certified in one day. Just read all the material beforehand, complete the e-learning, go to the pool in the morning and do 4 dives in the afternoon/evening....I mean for the student who is really busy and has limited time.:D

You are completely discounting the time spent in the e-class. If they learn the material, I don't think it matters whether it came from a book, a person or online. The skills portion will remain offline, and that's where the focus on quality instruction should be.

For teens getting the drivers permit in Florida, there is a mandatory 4hr drug awareness class, which can be taken online, and the road signs/ rules test can be taken online.
So basically, they hand out driving permits after 2 online tests. There are rules regarding practicing with licensed adults in the car for a year, and then they can take the driving test.

Perhaps we should just think of OW as permits and figure out how to get people to continue diving with supervision until their skill level is sufficient for independent diving.

BTW, the drug class is timed, so even if you understand the material, you have to wait until the timer is done before moving on. It's pretty pointless to make the person stay in front of a computer for 4 hrs, but if you leave, you'll be logged out, or something like that.

Is anyone keeping track of the responses?

People who have real experience with online education: Pro_______ Con________

People with no experience but great imaginations: Pro_______ Con_______

Is anyone keeping track of the responses?

People who have real experience with online education: Pro

People with no experience but great imaginations: Pro_______ Con_______

John no negative feedback from students or instructors who has direct experience

some negative comments from the imaginative people mostly around the agencies curricula or fees or impacts on LDS but not really focussed on the method itself

overall positive

I believe the tool will recruit divers time poor or living in areas without LDS and increase Market share of the supporting agencies

Posted via Mobile Device

E-learning is a good idea. Its main problem is that it is over priced by 200%.
Students don't get a hard copy of the manual or a RDP as part of the price.
How will the new diver refresh academically 2 years later without a manual.
A full crew pack with manual, log book, rdp, training folder with a video added would cost less and last longer.

E-learning is a good idea. Its main problem is that it is over priced by 200%.

It's overpriced but you pay for the convenience to a extent.

Students don't get a hard copy of the manual or a RDP as part of the price.
How will the new diver refresh academically 2 years later without a manual.
A full crew pack with manual, log book, rdp, training folder with a video added would cost less and last longer.

That is my biggest gripe with it - no materials supplied so no way really of refreshing months or years down the line. A manual and RDP would at least be a help.

Resortdiver and String... that's a very interesting point about e-Learning and actually contravenes PADI's own standard of one book and RDP per student....:confused:

Resortdiver and String... that's a very interesting point about e-Learning and actually contravenes PADI's own standard of one book and RDP per student....:confused:

Nope. They changed the standards (and RDP is optional now too - can be computer only). They rewrote a load of stuff for e-learning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom