E-PL1 first pictures and review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Byte Me

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Intended to be a quick review that ended up getting LONG! Sorry. Recently had the urge to upgrade after unsatisfying results on a Cayman trip last year with my Oly SP-350. So I sold my D300 and all lenses (too expensive to house and get proper lenses, plus no video), and the SP-350 and housing. Kept my D2000 strobe and ULCS arm/tray. Took the proceeds and dumped that into everything below – came within $25 of what I sold the old gear for (not counting the 20mm & 45-200)!! Bought everything but camera and housing at REEF who were awesome throughout all my questions.

My new kit consists of:

e-pl1
14-42 kit lens & zoom gear
UCL-165M67 macro lens
7-14mm Panny WA
Oly PT-EP01 housing
PMLA-EP01 macro adapter
Zen 7-14 dome
ULCS double arm tray
Inon D2000 strobe
L&M Sola 600 focus / video light
Spare battery
two Transcend 16GB class 10 SDHC cards

For above water only also have:
Panny 20mm f1.7
Panny 45-200 f4-5.6

Got it all wet for the first time 3/5-13 on the Belize Aggressor III trip reviewed here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li.../375709-belize-aggressor-iii-trip-report.html

Had almost 700 pictures to go through when I got home! Best 100 or so are linked at the end.

Quick highlights:
LOVE LOVE LOVE this setup. Everything from the ease of use, small form factor (compared to dSLR) and quality of results I'm seeing thus far, really impressed with how it handles underwater, how easy it is to do semi-wide all the way to macro with the kit lens and macro adapter w/ Inon wet macro lens.

Didn't get the zoom gear shim for the 7-14 in time so I used a thin wrist sized flat rubber band around the zoom ring of the panny 7-14 instead of Reef recommended gaffers tape with the 14-42 zoom gear. Worked flawlessly and is MUCH cheaper than the actual zoom gear.

14-42 lens work just fine in the Zen port! Note - really want to pay more attention next time to softness/distortion on the edges when using this lens pulled back to 14mm in the Oly port v the Zen port. Now that I'm running through workflow on the pictures I'm seeing some softness/distortion when shooting the 14mm full wide in the Oly port. That may or may not go away in the Zen port. However, since this port doesn't allow macro I won't really ever use it. Shot my first every macro shots and really enjoyed it!

It was tough getting used to the 7-14 underwater. You REALLY have to get close to fill up the frame when you're shooting 7mm. Which means you can't be nearly as ham handed in approaching fish/critters. But the results were very nice.

I did forget to pop the flash up before one dive and didn't notice until I couldn't figure out why my strobe wasn't firing. Dammit. I knew I would and I think it's a HUGE design flaw that there is no way to pop the flash once in the housing.

I shot in manual mode the whole trip, usually f6 to f8 depending on time of day and available light. Shutter speed either 160 or 125 depending on time of day and light. Really nice to be able to do HD video with this as well.
I was the envy of the boat with the Sola 600. That red light feature is fantastic. If you've done night diving with Tarpon around you know how they love to follow you and attack the poor varmints in your white light beam from over your shoulder, generally scaring the hell out of you in the process. Using the red light, I had no such issues. It did still spook some critters but others were totally unaware of it or me. Squid, octopus and crustations most notably were unaware. At 600 lumens white light it's bright enough to help fill in spots for aiding the flash and for video during the day. For night dives in clear water 600 is FAR too much. The red light is perfect and I don't see any need to have that adjustable. Was fine and when using a strobe you can't tell in stills that the red light is on at all. I used red light exclusively and a separate 600 lumen hand held light with tight beam pattern but big spill area for long reach critter spotting.

Haven't had a chance to get through the video yet. However, I think the results on the stills are far better than my old Oly SP-350. Looking forward to using it again and have to say that after spending a week underwater with it I'm a huge fan. Once the price comes down on the e-pl2 and housing I MAY "upgrade" to that if the housing allows for popping the flash once the camera is in there - only if in time it turns I keep forgetting!

Link to the lot of them, I took all except the ones I'm in!

Here are my favorites:
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

And a picture of the gear.

ry%3D400

Great pictures, thanks for posting! I'm close to pulling the trigger on the E-PL2 or GF1 housing... I just have to decide whether I want to trade in my GF1 first! My 9-18mm is ready and waiting.

I14-42 lens work just fine in the Zen port! Note - really want to pay more attention next time to softness/distortion on the edges when using this lens pulled back to 14mm in the Oly port v the Zen port. Now that I'm running through workflow on the pictures I'm seeing some softness/distortion when shooting the 14mm full wide in the Oly port. That may or may not go away in the Zen port. However, since this port doesn't allow macro I won't really ever use it. Shot my first every macro shots and really enjoyed it!

I'm thinking of getting this housing with only the oly original port and 14-42 stock lens. When you said that this port doesn't allow macro...which port did you mean? I was thinking of getting the macro 67mm adapter to use with the 14-42. Also, how does the 14mm end of that lens do for wide angle? Wonder if it's possible to use a WA wet lens with this setup.

I'm thinking of getting this housing with only the oly original port and 14-42 stock lens. When you said that this port doesn't allow macro...which port did you mean? I was thinking of getting the macro 67mm adapter to use with the 14-42. Also, how does the 14mm end of that lens do for wide angle? Wonder if it's possible to use a WA wet lens with this setup.

No macro with the Zen port. The Oly port is designed to do exactly what you're looking to do with the adapter and macro wet lens.

It works OK at 14mm for WA and would be a fine place to start. If you decide later that you want to go wider either the 9-18 or 7-14 and Zen port are perfect choices.

I'm not aware of a wet wide angle option for the Oly housing.

No macro with the Zen port. The Oly port is designed to do exactly what you're looking to do with the adapter and macro wet lens.

Actually I was able to use the Olympus Macro adapter on the Zen Port. The adapter will fit over the dome port. You need to apply some 1" sticker or thick velcro (about 1mm thick) strategically on the top and bottom part of the dome. There is enough friction to hold the adapter there but to make sure it stays there I also use an elastic band around the smaller diameter of the port that will clip on 2 sides of the adapter (which I also use to keep the velcro protection of the dome out of the way when I am diving). I use the Epoque macro lens which is quite strong. When I dont use it I just put it in my BC pocket.

The Zen port brings back the initial FOV of the kit lens and you are also able to focus as close to 3 inches or so to the dome port. The results are as good as the original port (maybe better). You can do semi wide to macro this way. In some murky water this setup works better than the 9-18mm lens.

I hope Olympus will come out sooner or later with a longer focal length macro lens (around 60mm would be my choice). The Panasonic 45mm is also very good I hear.
:D

Last edited:
thnx for posting

Actually I was able to use the Olympus Macro adapter on the Zen Port. The adapter will fit over the dome port. You need to apply some 1" sticker or thick velcro (about 1mm thick) strategically on the top and bottom part of the dome. There is enough friction to hold the adapter there but to make sure it stays there I also use an elastic band around the smaller diameter of the port that will clip on 2 sides of the adapter (which I also use to keep the velcro protection of the dome out of the way when I am diving).

Can you post a pic or two of this DIY setup? I am very interested!

I am not sure if you want a pic of the dome with the adapter (I cannot take a pic of it now) but here is the outcome of a nudibranch ...

Attachments

• nudi 400kb.jpg
    nudi 400kb.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 344

Back
Top Bottom