E-PL7 & PT-EP12 has anyone tried this out.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And they are wrong. There is a new port that is shorter and the 60 won't fit. They haven't even seen the housing. I have a query into Olympus about this issue, seems like they ought to be supporting their own lenses...

Hmm... I want to upgrade from my current PL1, am waiting to see whether the PL5 or PL7 is in my future. I have the 60mm macro and the 12-50mm, so the port length is extremely important for that decision...
Please keep us updated. Thanks!

I think what some of you may have overlooked here is that the new PT-EP12 is designed for use with the also new 14-42 F/3.5-5.6 EZ, not the 14-42 or 14-42 II kit lens that many of you may already own from past PEN cameras. The 14-42 EZ is about half the length of the older models and as such needs a shorter port. The new port is designed to support the 14-42 EZ and other shorter lenses like the Olympus 12mm, 17mm, 25mm and 45mm primes. These primes are all quality lenses and the 12mm will work in conjunction with the PTWC-01 for wider angle. This new port also has the 67mm thread built-in for use with closeup lenses. For use with the 12-50, 9-18 and 60mm macro I think the ZEN replacement port is the best bet. If any of you are coming to DEMA stop by the Nauticam booth and say hello.

The UWPG article on the E-PL7 is correct now, to my knowledge.

We are working on a good solution for using the 60mm macro lens with the E-PL7 housing, and will hopefully have some good news to post soon. - Scott

Hmmm.... wonder if I could put the port from my Oly PL1 housing on the PL7 housing, to accommodate the 60mm.

I don't know, but I have put port from PT-EP05L to PT-EP12. So as long as PL1 and EP05L have the same port - than the answer will be Yes

Yes, the PL1 port is the same as the others.

I just heard back from My Oly rep that Olympus Japan is still taking the view that the housing does not have an interchangeable port...(!). so they will not be selling the old, longer port separately; it is only available internally as a repair part.

I think Zen is working on a solution, but they are off this week.

Our stock of E-PL7s and Housings should be here Friday. I'll have the guys try out a Zen 9-18 dome.

Jack

Last edited:
I have already tested ZEN WA-100 port on the EP12 housing - fits like glove. Very happy indeed.

OK, heard back from the Zen. They actually already do have a combo that will work:

"You can use the Zen FP-100-EP with the Zen ER-EP-25 extension ring. These two pieces combined are designed for use with the Olympus 60mm and has 67mm threads in the front. The price of this is $538 for both parts so it keeps it in line with the other Zen PT-EPxx ports."

I've asked them to look at a one-piece solution that would be a little less expensive, but that may take some time. I'll get a few of the above ordered up in the meanwhile.

Jack

Hi Everyone! We have the housing in hand today and there are a lot of changes, some great, some not so great - as everyone already knows... like the port. We can definitely confirm that the port diameter is the same as previous Pen housings, so you can definitely reuse an older standard port to make use of other lenses. The Zen and Precision ports fit well so there are definitely still easy options for using the great 60mm, Panasonic 8mm and Oly 9-18mm lenses. If you do get the 14-42mm EZ lens also the new smaller port may allow for the use of some wet wide angle options for those looking to keep the rig simple, I'll be testing those this weekend to see what options work and what doesn't. Stay tuned for sample pics! -Kelli

The FP-100-EP port was designed for use with the Panasonic 45mm macro way before the 60mm was introduced. The ER-EP-25 extension was added when the 60mm was introduced to allow use users that already had the 45mm port to be able to have a more cost effective way to use the 60mm when it was introduced. Nautical did the same thing with the addition of the 20mm port. I still use both lenses so it is nice to have the option of not carrying two ports when traveling. While I think a dedicated ZEN 60 macro port would be well received I thought some might want to know the rest of the story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom