Eagle Rays :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gotta love those easy close-up shots

A few years ago when we were there in May diving Colombia we were at about 80' swimming for the first pinnacle. The DM shook his rattler and pointed ahead of him. He looked excited. Coming out of the gloom at the same depth we were and swimming in the opposite direction was a lone eagle ray. I was last in line, so I had the best angle; I slowly swam over in front of the ray, and when it was about 10 feet from me, I stopped making bubbles. As it passed me its left wingtip passed within three feet of my face.

I had no camera, but the shot I could have had is forever imprinted in my brain.

We did Punta Sur Cathedrals yesterday and saw 3 Eagle Rays and a black tip as well - I got some excellent video of one Eagle Ray but I think I was too far away from the black tip - he was at about 125 and I had already come up shallower to about 90 when I saw him - I was approaching deco limits so I couldn't go after him :)

Been here for the last two weeks and have dove Punta Sur Sur 4 or 5 times and they have been there each time, groups of 7 to 4. Deco sure gets in the way. Also saw small reef sharks a couple of times, a group of 2 and 3.

We did Punta Sur Cathedrals yesterday and saw 3 Eagle Rays and a black tip as well - I got some excellent video of one Eagle Ray but I think I was too far away from the black tip - he was at about 125 and I had already come up shallower to about 90 when I saw him - I was approaching deco limits so I couldn't go after him :)

Didn't see a black tip.....but did manage a Caribbean reef shark....

IMG_2649a.jpg

In keeping with the thread title....on our final dive of the holiday we got another ray show on Cedar Mountain

IMG_2843a.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom