Eagles Nest Cave Diver Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The men were inexperienced divers and had no certification, said Sgt. Donna Black of the Hernando County Sheriff's Office.

Is this true or more reporter BS?

In private I heard they were not cave trained, sad either way but very preventable if that is true.

So they were on CCR's when this happened? Sux either way!

The website post in a previous post has Snowden listed as a Scuba Instructor.

If when he's done grieving and if he's a scubaboard member it would be good to get the facts first hand.

But yeah, this will provide more fodder for the anti rebreather crowd.

Last edited by a moderator:
So they were on Closed Circuit Rebreathers (CCRs), and Snowden tried to help his friend, but "Woodall was in an altered mental state" . . . Would this be like being Narc'd? CCRs have the ability to share air, don't they?

(from a very unknowing person - please write slowly and clearly)

So they were on Closed Circuit Rebreathers (CCRs), and Snowden tried to help his friend, but "Woodall was in an altered mental state" . . . Would this be like being Narc'd? CCRs have the ability to share air, don't they?

More than likely toxed. They carry bail out bottles. But being as they were ( as reported ) not cave certified it causes wonder as to how many violations occured.

More than likely toxed. They carry bail out bottles. But being as they were ( as reported ) not cave certified it causes wonder as to how many violations occured.

I don't think he had O2 tox, I am thinking more along the lines of CO2 hit.

I don't think he had O2 tox, I am thinking more along the lines of CO2 hit.

Is Eagles nest not controlled as far as diving? For some reason I thought it was.

Since I'm moderating this forum, I'm staying out of the speculation and discussion on the accident side of it. From a technical standpoint I'll offer the following information:

CCR divers are susceptible to the effects of narcosis just like an OC diver. They are also at risk for effects of Hypercapnia (excess CO2), Hyperoxia (excess PO2) and Hypoxia (low PO2) as well.

Problems with a CCR unit are generally handled by "bailing out." This means they switch to OC, either through a reg attached to their onboard (small gas supply attached to the unit) or offboard (stage cylinders) gas supplies. The ability to share air is dictated by the type of bailout the diver is using and how it's rigged. (i.e. if your bailout is strictly onboard gas, the supply is very limited and difficult to share)

There are reports elsewhere with more information regarding the equipment used on this dive.

Back
Top Bottom