Eagles Nest Cave Diver Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But yeah, this will provide more fodder for the anti rebreather crowd.

Surely, more fodder for the "get trained and certified" crowd, wouldn't it? Certification means - that at ONE time in your life - you had the knowledge and skills.

That place is no joke. Only for the best diver's. That report said that guy wasn't cave certertified and diving in a 300ft deep cave. Wow. I hate to hear that someone lost their life there but I hope this doesn't get the place closed again for all the divers that love to dive the Eagle's Nest. RIP.

Word is he wasn't trained to cave dive and was breathing a very hot mix for Eagle's Nest. It's more stupid than sad. Hopefully, we don't lose access to EN.

I don't think he had O2 tox, I am thinking more along the lines of CO2 hit.

Care to explain how you arrived at that line of thinking?

The general discussion seems to be:
1) High diluent PO2 for the depth and enviroment
2) High PN2 for the depth and enviroment
3) Lack of training for the enviroment

Your the only one that seems to be thinking hypercapnia.

Do you dive a CCR?

John

I agree Rob..I did not know all that when I posted.

I agree Rob..I did not know all that when I posted.

I figured you didn't, Kevin.

The buddy is lucky he didn't die, too. this could have ended similarly to the Wayne's World incident.

You know it really gets me mad when I think about it. I feel sorry for the family, but they asked for it. I wish they could fine the survivor. Like Rob said, this could close the nest. It has been done before. There is no cure for stupidity, unless your in a cave. Then its death.

My condolences to the family, It is a terrible thing when an event like this takes place. What make things even worse is that so far it sounds like this was totally preventable. Why in the world would you go to the "Mount Everest of Cave Dives" not having any level of cave training as well as any deep tech/rebreather cave training and figure that you were making a good decision. It sounds like these guys violated so many rules that it was incredible that even one of them survived. The stop signs located in front of most caverns in Florida spell it out pretty simply:

GRIMREAPER.jpeg

My condolences to the family, It is a terrible thing when an event like this takes place. What make things even worse is that so far it sounds like this was totally preventable. Why in the world would you go to the "Mount Everest of Cave Dives" not having any level of cave training as well as any deep tech/rebreather cave training and figure that you were making a good decision. It sounds like these guys violated so many rules that it was incredible that even one of them survived. The stop signs located in front of most caverns in Florida spell it out pretty simply:

GRIMREAPER.jpeg

Walter it never ceases to amaze me how these people get in this situation. I was talking to Brian Armstrong a couple of weeks ago and he kinda said it best and its Ironic cause he was diving EN the next weekend. His words were there are too many out there trying to go from zero to hero overnight, basically without putting in the time needed to develop the skills needed. They never even started crawling down the path, they took the short cut right to the grave.

Walter it never ceases to amaze me how these people get in this situation. I was talking to Brian Armstrong a couple of weeks ago and he kinda said it best and its Ironic cause he was diving EN the next weekend. His words were there are too many out there trying to go from zero to hero overnight, basically without putting in the time needed to develop the skills needed. They never even started crawling down the path, they took the short cut right to the grave.

Maybe they had someone leading them to that shortcut.

There is a posting on TDS indicating that they took a Wreck Diving course at EN and the Instructor apparently had a waiver to teach it. If its Ok to do it on a course maybe they thought its no big deal to take the next step.

NO I did not type it wrong.....yes it was reported as a Wreck Diving course not a Cave Diving Trimix Course.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom