eagles nest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrducks once bubbled...
ask your navy buddy if he knows of the sonar pit off conway in south orlando?

He just walked out the door heading home for the night right before I read this post.

I will try to remember next time I see him. He bet me I couldn't find info on that Buggs Spring site. Slim pickin's but it was there none the less. Would be interesting to find out what really goes on there.

*whump* *whump* - sound of choppers flying overhead.

Hi ... I have been diving in Bugg Spring. I just saw this thread and registered so I could respond ... The spring is "Bugg Spring" ... try that in google and you will get a lot of hits from the navy and florida geological survey. The spring is 176 feet deep ... my dad has been to the bottom and I have been about 100 feet. My family bought it 1923 and we've been the only people to dive it except for a few guests. The Navy does sonar research ... see thier web site ... and they have been broken into in the past and now have guards patroling the site. The run is fenced off and monitored. It is a young sink hole with little or no cultural resources ... I am an archaeologist and hoped for the best but still enjoy the dive. My dad Joe Branham is a marine biologist and has been diving it starting in the 1950's as part of his masters thesis on hawthorne group formations. Typical hour glass shape with the narrowest wall at 70 feet .. the surface is about 2 acres and it constricts down to 1.2 acres at 70 feet bs. It's named after a young seminole (Billy Bugg) who died there while collecting water. This is mostly ledgend as we have not found the cart or the boy ... I think is was made up to scare the locals away by the owners of the day. My great uncle has a good write up in the Florida Entomologist about mosquito control at the spring and so I guess that it was called that because you can't breath near the spring with out choking on buggs. It's a second mag spring with lots of silt and has a surface vis of about 30 feet on a good day. We have some overly friendly gators because the navy boys feed them (against our wishes) marshmallows. Due to the silt we have a lot of cat fish and mud fish. Hopes this helps. charly branham

Bugg_Spring:
Hi ... I have been diving in Bugg Spring. I just saw this thread and registered so I could respond ... The spring is "Bugg Spring" ... try that in google and you will get a lot of hits from the navy and florida geological survey. The spring is 176 feet deep ... my dad has been to the bottom and I have been about 100 feet. My family bought it 1923 and we've been the only people to dive it except for a few guests. The Navy does sonar research ... see thier web site ... and they have been broken into in the past and now have guards patroling the site. The run is fenced off and monitored. It is a young sink hole with little or no cultural resources ... I am an archaeologist and hoped for the best but still enjoy the dive. My dad Joe Branham is a marine biologist and has been diving it starting in the 1950's as part of his masters thesis on hawthorne group formations. Typical hour glass shape with the narrowest wall at 70 feet .. the surface is about 2 acres and it constricts down to 1.2 acres at 70 feet bs. It's named after a young seminole (Billy Bugg) who died there while collecting water. This is mostly ledgend as we have not found the cart or the boy ... I think is was made up to scare the locals away by the owners of the day. My great uncle has a good write up in the Florida Entomologist about mosquito control at the spring and so I guess that it was called that because you can't breath near the spring with out choking on buggs. It's a second mag spring with lots of silt and has a surface vis of about 30 feet on a good day. We have some overly friendly gators because the navy boys feed them (against our wishes) marshmallows. Due to the silt we have a lot of cat fish and mud fish. Hopes this helps. charly branham

Thanks Charly and welcome to the board.

I'm sure the cave divers in the group won't try too hard to impose thenselfves on you. Well, I'm kind of sure.

Bugg_Spring:

How can I get in to do an exploration dive in Bug Spring?

Curt Bowen:
How can I get in to do an exploration dive in Bug Spring?

Me too. Me too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom