Ear Barotrauma.....I Think!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snokat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last Tuesday while descending on my second dive I experienced difficulty in clearing my left ear. Rising, swallowing, pressuring, and all my little tricks didn't help to get the job done. One more sustained pressuring cleared me, but I felt a twinge and fluid sensation when it finally happened.
My guess is that I "perfed" my eardrum. Looked up as much info as I could on DAN and some med sites. No pain, ear does feel full, but I could hear fine after the dive.
All indications are that if I don't get infected it heals in one to two weeks and I make mini-season.
Does this sound like accurate information? Any experiences like this?
I had experienced some congestion that morning and took a Claritin, first dive was no effort at all. I did fail to hydrate between dives I recalled.
MonoHead Al

Hi snokat,

At present, it is uncertain what type of ear trauma you have sustained.

The sensation of reduced pain upon descent with the advent of a twinge and fluid sensation within the ear is consistent with perforation of the eardrum. While sharp, sudden ear pain or discomfort upon breach of the tympanum often does occur, it does not always appear. Some divers report only a sudden decrease in discomfort as differential pressures across the membrane are equalized with perforation.

Other signs and symptoms might be expected, e.g., vertigo, tinnitus, hearing change/loss, fluid or blood draining from the affected ear, but again are not necessary for the diagnosis.

The only way to be certain is undergo an evaluation of the ear by an ENT. Many perforations can be visualized upon otoscopy (http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/examinations/otoscopy.htm). This procedure may be followed by a tympanogram (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tympanogram).

Healing time for a perforated eardrum depends upon a number of factors, but most importantly upon its size. Larger rents typically take longer to heal, but even smaller ones can be non-healing.

Given a suspicion of perforation, it would be unwise to return to scuba until an ENT has given medical clearance for such. In the meantime, it is prudent to monitor for infection.

Helpful?

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Sound advice, I will have this looked at ASAP.
Why take chances?
THX
Al

That's the smart move, Al.

Please do let us know the outcome.

Thanks,

DocVikingo

Appointment at 3 PM today, someone must have died......just kidding!!!
I recall doing something like this free diving about 10-years ago. I had clogged my middle ear with blood and mucus after many consecutive days of surface dives. I remember a miserable flight home and not hearing well due to the clog. The Dr prescribed steroids in a spray, the name escapes me, and an antibiotic. Same ear as I recall. It wasn't eardrum related!!!
I will post the results after my visit.
Al

This event was NOT my eardrum. Yeah!!!!! That's the good news from my Dr.!!!
Mucus and stuff dislodged from equalizing, I was getting congested that morning as it was. So I have gummed-up the middle ear instead, not my first time with this symptom. Rhinocort Aqua nasal spray and Allegra D for the congestion, but I have to be able to clear before diving. DAH!!!
So it is a race to heal before mini-season.
Al

DocV....
THX for lighting a fire under me with the ear. You were right, I needed to know what was going on with it, instead of guessing.
If I'm not bleeding or in real pain I will ignore most things, but this had to do with diving.
I am getting good relief from the AllegraD and Rhinocort, even equalized during the day. If this keeps up I may try it on Sunday with a short series of surface dives if I can pre-clear easily.
Time to scout the local conditions in preparation for mini-season.
See you in the water,
Al

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom