Ear Crackles when swallowing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

foggymask

New
Reaction score
Two weeks ago I went diving (I am taking SSI advanced open water course) and the day after it felt like I had water in my right ear and I had some pain, pressure and some crackling when I swallowed. I started on antibiotics and all of the symptoms are gone except for the ear crackling when I swallow.

I wanted to know if it is safe to dive with my ear crackling? I can blow air into my ear without any pain. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Hi foggymask,

Given barotrauma to the ear, such as from squeeze or overly vigorous or otherwise improper equalization techniques, fluid can collect in the middle ear space. Fluid also may remain following resolution of a middle ear infection. If the amount is small, it can escape detection even by otoscopic examination.

The amount isn't enough to result in discomfort, muffling of sounds or difficulty equalizing. Yet, it can cause a small popping or "crackling" sensation under the forces of actions like swallowing, yawning or other movements of the jaw.

It is expected that with time this fluid will drain away and/or be absorbed. Oral decongestants sometimes are of benefit.

Should such popping/crackling not clear within 4-6 weeks, or become worse, contact with an ENT would be prudent.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Regards.

DocVikingo

In addition, it is possible to have a cerumen impaction and have water trapped behind it. This will give a crackling sensation or noise when the jaw or ear are moved. Just went through this myself. A quick examination of the ear can confirm that's the problem.

FWIW, my ears always crack when I move my jaw. I thought that was a good thing. Doesn't that just mean that my eustation (sp?) tubes are easily opening and closing? I never have problems clearing my ears while diving.

My ears always make that noise when I swallow, they were like that even before I started diving. I always thought that it just meant my tubes were opening and closing, like the previous poster said. I'd be more concerned about the pain/pressure in your ear than the crackling when you swallow...get it checked out if you're worried about it and it doesn't go away soon.

Popping/crackling that has its onset immediately following a dive and that where it's existed long prior to learning to scuba well may have different causes and implications.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Have the same problem as OP. Wonder if anyone has found a diagnosis and a solution for this.

DocVikingo is right. There's a difference between having this after-dive vs. prior issue.

Obviously, it is likely related to a Eustachian Tube Dysfunction but normally there are many different things behind this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom