Ear Infection Prevention

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've always used a drop of mineral oil before and the wash after, any thoughts?

Many of these strategies go under the "whatever works for you" category... All people have different external auditory canal environments, related to differences in canal size, the presence of fixed obstruction (osteomas, or "surfer's ear"), and the composition of the ear wax - which can vary from thick, greasy plugs to thin flakes. Interestingly, ear wax composition seems to be genetic, and may be associated with fat metabolism and even cardiac risk factors!

That having been said, I often recommend baby oil for people who have dry, flaking earwax, once a week or so.. However, in the context of diving, this might trap infected debris and make healing of an inflammatory swimmer's ear more delayed.

So it really depends on why you are using the oil... it's OK for general dryness, but not if a bacterial infection is developing (with a bad smell and severe tenderness)...

Mike

.... So it really depends on why you are using the oil...
In my case I will likely continue since that's what I was taught to do on the Tektite Project back in 1969 and I've done so ever since with good effect. I just did not want to be passing on what might be bad advice for someone else.

I just did not want to be passing on what might be bad advice for someone else.

Yup, for the most part, the "if it works for you" rule is a good one! It is unlikely that you will be passing on something really dangerous if it hasn't caused you a problem in years...

Hard to get people to stop using q-tips, though..! I talk about q-tips like other doctors talk about cigarettes....

Gotta admit, they do feel good! :)

Hi Mucksavage,

You will find a very complete answer to your inquiry in my DAN Alert Diver magazine article entitled "Swimmers Ear - Additional Advice About A Pesky and Sometimes Painful Problem" in Mar/Apr 07 issue.

You may also read it at Doc Vikingo's Preventing Swimmer's Ear

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hard to get people to stop using q-tips, though..! I talk about q-tips like other doctors talk about cigarettes....

Gotta admit, they do feel good! :)
Like my Mom always said (she's a physician), "nothing in your ear except your elbow."

I have a bad ear problem right now, it has been going on now for about 4 weeks. It drains every night and i can hear and feel the water behind it. I have tried ear candles, swimmers ear, over the counter ear cleaning treatment, witch hazel, none of these have helped the left ear is the worst, it continues to drain and has an slight oder to it, there is no real pain involved with the actual ear.

Hi SC3,

Whatever ear malady you are suffering, using ear candles (see below), OTC swimmer's ear drops which typically are nearly all alcohol and witch hazel are only likely to aggravate the problem. You should cease using them immediately.

Regards,

DocVikingo

1. "Laryngoscope. 1996 Oct;106(10):1226-9.

Ear candles--efficacy and safety.

Seely DR, Quigley SM, Langman AW.

Spokane Ear, Nose, and Throat Clinic, WA 99204, USA.

Ear candles are a popular and inexpensive alternative health treatment advocated for cerumen removal. A hollow candle is burned with one end in the ear canal with the intent of creating negative pressure and drawing cerumen from the ear. If effective, significant savings could result from the use of ear candles. This study evaluates the efficacy and safety of this alternative method for cerumen management. Tympanometric measurements in an ear canal model demonstrated that ear candles do not produce negative pressure. A limited clinical trial (eight ears) showed no removal of cerumen from the external auditory canal. Candle wax was actually deposited in some. A survey of 122 otolaryngologists identified 21 ear injuries resulting from ear candle use. Ear candles have no benefit in the management of cerumen and may result in serious injury."

2. J Laryngol Otol. 2004 Jan;118(1):1-2.
Ear candles: a triumph of ignorance over science.Ernst E.

Complementary Medicine, Peninsula Medical School, Universities of Exeter & Plymouth, Exeter, UK. Edzard.Ernst@pms.ac.uk

Ear candles are hollow tubes coated in wax which are inserted into patients' ears and then lit at the far end. The procedure is used as a complementary therapy for a wide range of conditions. A critical assessment of the evidence shows that its mode of action is implausible and demonstrably wrong. There are no data to suggest that it is effective for any condition. Furthermore, ear candles have been associated with ear injuries. The inescapable conclusion is that ear candles do more harm than good. Their use should be discouraged."

The ear plugs are Doc's Pro Plugs. They help by reducing the amount of water you get in your ears.

The other solutiuon I would suggest folks with chronic ear issues try is the Pro-Ear mask. This mask has earcups which permit you to keep your ears dry. The ear cups have little hoses connecting them to the mask. Equalizing your mask also equalizes the earcups.

I have 40 or so dives with mine and am happy with it. There have been a couple of threads in the Fins, Masks & Snorkles forum.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fins-masks-snorkels/202708-pro-ear-mask-does-work.html

I have no econmic interest in the product, but this is what happens when one has satisfied customers.

Thank you for all the information. Does anyone know where to purchase the Sahara/Mack's warm air ear dryer?

Thank you for all the information. Does anyone know where to purchase the Sahara/Mack's warm air ear dryer?

Ah, if only...

They have been out of production for some time now, while they are gearing up for a new version.

I used to sell them (at cost) in my office, but I can't get them any more. I have been in contact with the company, last emailed with them in November, and they said that they should be back in production in Spring of this year.

Here is their website, you can email Elaine and tell them that you want to be notified once they are available.

Until then, I might trade you mine for a rebreather... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom