ear plugs and hood?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Earl E. Retire

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to start the OW course soon and my question is this:
Given that I have significant Surfer's Ear (exostosis) condition already, do I still need ear plugs when I am wearing a hood? I plan to use Doc's Pro Plugs so the plugs will fit flush with my ears and could go inside the hood. But do I need both? I suppose the plugs would be an extra precaution. Thoughts?

EER

I'm thinking you can't wear ear plugs at all while diving - you'll have a tough time equalizing and might injure your ears.

Earl E. Retire:
I'm going to start the OW course soon and my question is this:
Given that I have significant Surfer's Ear (exostosis) condition already, do I still need ear plugs when I am wearing a hood? I plan to use Doc's Pro Plugs so the plugs will fit flush with my ears and could go inside the hood. But do I need both? I suppose the plugs would be an extra precaution. Thoughts?

EER
I know a number of divers who wear these ear plugs, and they seem to work for them. They all wear a hood, or in warm water a beanie, to help keep the plugs in, and to eliminate even more of the water in the ear problem.

Those plugs are vented to allow equalization while descending. I'd get a second opinion, preferably from someone with first hand knowledge rather than relying unknown testimonials on Doc's Pro Plug site.

Wearing a hood does not prevent water from entering your ear canal. In my limited experience I have found that is does keep water from being jetted forcefully into the canal from a current or surge.

I have a set and I can say they work great for me. I sometimes have trouble equalizing and have in the past been prone to ear infections. Since I have started using Doc's Pro Plugs I have not had any infections. They have also helped me with my equalization issues. A friend of mine who was also experiencing equalization issues bought them as well. He has noted a substantial improvement on his ability to equalize as well. Could be psychosomatic, but hey whatever works.

I have always worn them under a 7mm hood and have never had an issue with comfort or fit. Just be sure you get fitted for them as they come in different sizes.

That's good to hear Dstone. I was looking to purchase some for me as well. I'm still recovering from a slight infection from last week in the Gulf.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Earl E. Retire:
I plan to use Doc's Pro Plugs so the plugs will fit flush with my ears and could go inside the hood.
EER

You may want to make sure you use the vented ones for Diving. The non-vented do not allow you to equalize, so they limit depth to under 10' I believe.

FWIW, the hood makes me hard of hearing, with the plugs added, I'm about deaf.
G'diving

billtodive:
FWIW, the hood makes me hard of hearing, with the plugs added, I'm about deaf.
G'diving

This is true for myself as well. Not so much an issue underwater with the exception of the fact that I can't hear my computer beep at me.

I love these things - I wear the vented ones for diving and lap swimming. Make sure you get the right size - they have a cheap fitting kit. I don't even use them with a hood most of the time and they stay in just fine. Awesome product!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom