Ear problems...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have had some earproblems that maybe one of you can help with...

Last winter I was diving in Thailand, working as an instructor, but after only about a month I started developing some ear problems.
Itching, aching, and a "wet" feeling.
Went to the doctor, got antibiotic and got better. Started diving again after three days, were fine for about a week, the the problems came back.
This happened five times, and before the last occurance I stayed out of the water for two whole weeks (a long time when making a living as an instructor...).

Finally I gave up and went home. Went to a diving physician in Sweden, where I live and she said the problems had probably been due to bacteria in the water, caused by sewage running out into the ocean... Not very nice!
Anyway, she thought the problem would heal if ears were kept dry and ordered no diving for two months. Also some drops to put in the ears, but I can't remember the name.

After the two months of no diving, I started diving in Sweden, in cold, clean water.
Were fine for a few months, but suddenly after two days of moderate diving I developed pain again!

Went to see the doctor again, and this time I had fluid behind the eardrum, and quite badly.
Doctor said this was completely different from the thing I had before, but it sure felt the same...

Anyway, she also said that this would probably not cause any problems for diving in the future, but I am still worried...

Anyone with similar problems? Or anyone with ideas of how to handle this?

Thanks!

see the thread on ear-equalization under the New to Scuba forum. There are bits of info in there. Also, did you take the whole regime of antibiotics as prescribed? You may have some chronic low-grade bacterial infections in there and the only way to get rid of those little devils for good would be to go on a rigorous program with an appropriate antibiotic and keep taking the medicine for the entire duration. Same thing happened to my buddy in Indonesia, and water pollution is the prime suspect there as well, and antibiotics for the rest of the 12 day trip did the job.

hope this helps!

It sound like you indeed had two separate problems. One is otitis externa (thailand) which is caused by moisture in the external ear canal softening the skin and creating an entrance point for bacteria.
Competitive swimmmers and pro divers often get this.
Once you've completed an initial course of ear drops and /or antibiotics, many ENT's recommend using a solution of 1/2 rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl alcohol) and 1/2 plain white (distilled) vinegar. Two to four drops in each ear after swimming or diving usually prevents recurrence.

The fluid in your middle ear is more complicated.
Sometimes this occurs as a result of incomplete equalization, or it can go along with a sinus infection or allergies.
Drops aren't real valuable for middle ear infection because the fluid is behind the eardrum. This type has much more in common with a sinus infection than it does an external otitis.
People with a single episode can be treated just as you describe.
Sometimes recurrent middle ear infections can occur associated with diving, usually as a part of difficult equalization or something that causes swelling of the mucous membranes in the nasal passages. If you have recurrent middle ear problems, see a physician with some training in diving medicine. If you have no further troubles, dive safe and happy.
John

I seem to be having the same kind of ear problems, i went diving in plymouth in July and came back with a terrible middle ear infection. I was given antibiotics and it seemed to clear up, but four weeks later after diving in tobago my ears became infected and sore again. I have taken antibiotics which have cleared up the infection but i still have fluid behind my eardrums. It's extremely painful and I;ve had it for over two months now, no form of decongestant seems to work for any long period of time and I'm supposed to be diving in the red Sea in under two weeks. If it can't be cured then I don't know what i'm going to do. Does anyone have any suggestions of any quick cures???

You can dive and keep your ears dry and avoid any outer ear infections.

Please visit our website http://www.proear2000.com and learn about our new invention, the ProEar 2000 mask/ear protection system.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Good luck,

HMan
Safe Dive Ltd.

Back
Top Bottom