early planning - PNG in 2005 - Star Dancer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vetdiver,

I used Reef and Rainforest for trips to Fiji and Palau. From my experience, you are in good hands.

cdiver2:
Divepartner I think I was with you on that flight. Cairns/POM/ Newbritain with the new bishop and welcome committee ?.

Yep, that's the one! We we finally got there we were trapped in the Hopkins airport for over an hour as all 6 soldiers and half of New Britain saluted or serenaded the Bishop and his entourage. When you consider we were over a day late (they were on our orginal canceled flights from Cairns), the size of the welcoming party and crowds that lined the road for miles was impressive.

We talked at Wallindi didn't we? I wish I could do it again this year, but with a baby on the way in August my favorite dive buddy's out of action.

By the way, I'm married! A Canadian, she used to dive for the Australian Marine Research Institute, if I have the name right. Sooner or later, we'll back to that part of the world.

DivePartner1:
Yep, that's the one! We we finally got there we were trapped in the Hopkins airport for over an our as all 6 soldiers and half of New Britain saluted or serenaded the Bishop and his entourage. When you consider we were over a day late (they were on our orginal canceled flights from Cairns), the size of the welcoming party and crowds that lined the road for miles was impressive.

We talked at Wallindi didn't we? I wish I could do it again this year, but with a baby on the way in August my favorite dive buddy's out of action.

By the way, I'm married! A Canadian, she used to dive for the Australian Marine Research Institute, if I have the name right. Sooner or later, we'll back to that part of the world.

right you got it. Like you I wish every day I could do it again the staff at Walindi were great and the diving exceptional. If you remember my wife/buddy and I got out for a dive as you were waiting to board the boat. After I surfaced from the giant stride my first words were YES YES YES HEAVEN. Great to talk to you again.

Every time I've been to PNG, I've been on the other Hughe's boat, the FeBrina. I'm spending a month in PNG starting May 28th. Due to booking, this time I'll be on the Star Dancer (Peter, I'll just miss you).
I fly Quantas to New Zealand to Brisbane and the to Port Moresby on AN. A little longer, but a little cheaper.

Someone was talking about Albatross Channel. That is my favorite N.I. dive along with Planet Ocean. Gee....the bottle shop is awful nice too.... hmmmm....

Hope to see some of you all there!!

Hi Vetdiver, I am also looking at PNG for 05. If you have any new ideas on more inexpensive ways to get to PNG please let me know. I have contacted trip-n-tour as they have helped me on our flights to Australia last summer. From what I've read, PNG has "the" best diving and since I'm a diver I'd like to go at least once. I've been looking at Star Dancer as well, I talked to their reps at a show recently in Chicago. My thought is to have a week aboard Stardancer then maybe three days at Walindi. With travel time, a day in Aus. after the flight to Aus., this will be a two week trip.

Caymaniac

Hi, Caymaniac -

We are probably going to make a deposit on the Star Dancer in mid-June. we are looking at the July 5 7-day trip - we'd add on a day in Walindi prior and a few days in the highlands afterwards, for a 2-week trip, as well - maybe you should join us! That itinrary will have the added benefit of a bank holiday in the middle, warranting one less day of vacation taken from work...

I don't think it will be that easy to get to Australia cheaply - we signed up for email specials from Quantas just in case, but since we will need to have it all planned ahead of time, we are assuming around $2K per person to get to PNG - that way, we will not be freaked out when we actually see the price... Let's face it - this is a dream trip and our one big splurge for 2005!!!

You will never regret the $$ spent on the airfare. Yes, it is costly, but the biggest problem is the twenty hours+ on your butt in an economy class seat!!! Where's the valium!
I'm leaving on the 28th for my month long PNG trip. I figured if I spend that much to get there, I'm staying awhile. All those saved up days off are going to good use. I'm sure the chief will ask my name when I get back to the dept.!

Allison Finch:
You will never regret the $$ spent on the airfare. Yes, it is costly, but the biggest problem is the twenty hours+ on your butt in an economy class seat!!! Where's the valium!
I'm leaving on the 28th for my month long PNG trip. I figured if I spend that much to get there, I'm staying awhile. All those saved up days off are going to good use. I'm sure the chief will ask my name when I get back to the dept.!

Allison We flew from Florida took us a total of 35 Hrs just to get to Cairns. One thing I did do was see my Dr before leaving and got some strong sleeping pills, time went very quickly, but my wife had to wake me up a couple of times for snoring.
But arrived fresh going and coming back. I would recomend it, Quantas has the least amount of leg room that I have ever seen on a airline.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom