Earthly Matters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aparatchiki

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
paolov:
FYI : due to the Coriolis effect. wind patterns are predictable and hence typhoons take on the general predictable paths. other factors would be the density of water vapor and the high and low pressure areas near the weather disturbance.

due to the Coriolis you may expect typhoons to be moving northward as they approach the Philippines. this is so due to the rotation of the earth.

to see how fast the earth rotates : determine the equatorial circumference of the earth =Ce (in kilometers) = 40,076 Km

Ce dived by 24 hours = km/hour

40,076Km / 24hr = 1,669.83 Km/hr

that is how fast the earth rotates at the equator hence the Coriiolis effect and Trade winds.

but you don't feel it huh...

wow...very scientific!

:D :D

paolov:
Cebu is fine that time of the year.

here is the general typhoon tensions (frequency and severity)

1. Luzon : high tension : high frequency of typhoons and severity
2. Visayas (including cebu) : mid tension : occasional path of typhoons.
3. Mindanao : low tension : rarely hit by typhoons

you may dive cebu sites anytime of the year. Cebu is protected by islands to the west and east hence not much build up of wave energy hitting the area.

GO for it. the locals will advise you anyhow of sever weather conditions.

FYI : due to the Coriolis effect. wind patterns are predictable and hence typhoons take on the general predictable paths. other factors would be the density of water vapor and the high and low pressure areas near the weather disturbance.

due to the Coriolis you may expect typhoons to be moving northward as they approach the Philippines. this is so due to the rotation of the earth.

to see how fast the earth rotates : determine the equatorial circumference of the earth =Ce (in kilometers) = 40,076 Km

that is how fast the earth rotates at the equator hence the Coriiolis effect and Trade winds.

Ernie Baron

Armand:
Ernie Baron

the guy is dead, plus he justs reads them cue cards handed tohim by the Production Assistants. he would not be able to explain in detail the "why ".

paolov:
Cebu is fine that time of the year.

here is the general typhoon tensions (frequency and severity)

1. Luzon : high tension : high frequency of typhoons and severity
2. Visayas (including cebu) : mid tension : occasional path of typhoons.
3. Mindanao : low tension : rarely hit by typhoons

you may dive cebu sites anytime of the year. Cebu is protected by islands to the west and east hence not much build up of wave energy hitting the area.

GO for it. the locals will advise you anyhow of sever weather conditions.

Man, that was WAY too much info...:icon10:

paolov:

Pao,

When I grow up, I want to be just like you - you're my hero, dude!:14:

paolov:

i bet you're itching for us to ask why that is :crazy3:

we don't feel it because... fine, i'll let you answer it na lang :D

iris_ice:
i bet you're itching for us to ask why is that :crazy3:

we don't feel it because... fine, i'll let you answer it na lang :D
i feel it.... look what it did to my hair!

gravity's a beeyatch too for us larger people :sad:

thepurplehammerhead:
gravity's a beeyatch too for us larger people :sad:
Wahahaaaa

Larry needs a Bro or Mansierre... wahahahaaa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom