Earthly Matters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paolov:
that is how fast the earth rotates at the equator hence the Coriiolis effect and Trade winds.

but you don't feel it huh...

Sensation of motion is not because of the speed. It's whether we are accelerating or not. With respect to the earth's rotation, the acceleration is so small. Just a few centimeters per sec per sec. Hence, we can hardly feel it.

i think we should make a new thread to discuss this rotation of the earth as the original post is being neglected.

let's please et back to the original post to discuss.

and someone set up a new thread to discuss the earthly matters.

paolov:
i think we should make a new thread to discuss this rotation of the earth as the original post is being neglected.

let's please et back to the original post to discuss.

and someone set up a new thread to discuss the earthly matters.

Thank you and here you go!

justleesa:
Thank you and here you go!
ok ok

thanks for that Lice-sa i mean leesa.... hehehhe

Armand is correct, we do not feel the 1,669.83 Km/hr speed as there is no change in speed (change in speed = acceleration (either + or -)

so on the east side of the phils. the trade winds are moving in a clockwise direction and on the west side of the phils it is counter clockwise.

they do so due to the philippines configuration above the equator. the mountain ranges acts as "airfoils" that deflect the wind.

in San Francisco airport they have a nice miniature earth there and if you spin the globe around the fluid in it would show you this Coriolis effect.

the part above the middle circumference (equator) moves upward (north pole) away from the equator in a clockwise direction while the bottom half moves downward (south pole) in a counter clockwise direction

O/T : also in San Fo airport, they also have the hurricane formation simulation . visualized by some smoke and air flow vents. nice one.

Pleeeeaaaase. I had to learn all this stuff again when I hit 23. Not that it helped. Changes in wind strengh and direction = the kind of weather you like to watch from the ground but normally don't want to be in when in a tin can filled with thousands of pounds of combustible fuel held aloft by aerodynamics that no can one can agree on.

Food for thought: I like hitting all that weather at 35-41,000 ft. So, anyone wanna take a ride to Cagayad de Oro City?

oh and since JJ is here, she may go into the mechanics of

tailwind and headwind

:D

but i think it would be with more relevance if we discuss the wave currents produced by the rotation of the earth......

Back
Top Bottom