Ebay Scuba Compressors?! >$300, but too Dangerous? Please share thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It actually does come in black :p

This is a question of convenience. Its a $15 fill for me with a 1/2 hour drive in each direction and then hanging around while they get filled. Not the end of the world, but filling tanks is a pain for me.

What would be required to bring this compressor upto sufficient spec? I know there is not alot of love for Chinese [knockoff] equiptment on this forum, but without shooting the idea down, can we discuss what is missing here for it to be real?

An alternative could be a filter like this, although at that point you have contaminated your tank.

I have done research into scuba compressors in the past, but am no expert. Please help me learn :)

Last edited:
Please don't purchase this. I don't have time to go into it in detail and learning about scuba compressors for me has been a long process. There are many threads here and elsewhere that can help. This isn't an issue of a chinese knockoff.

fyi - pressurized oil coating your lungs makes it really hard to breathe....

I have a Bauer Junior II for sale that has been a great compressor. It would be a MUCH BETTER investment than one of these Chinese compressors. First of all it isn't going to KILL YOU. Secondly, it will last for years and years provide you maintain it properly. I've owned it for about 10 years or so. It was made in 1999. I bought a Bauer Oceanus in 2007 which has been my primary compressor. I kept the Junior II as a backup but have never had to use it. I take it out about every 6 weeks and fill a tank so it keeps all the valves open and free. It fills a tank in about 15 minutes depending on how far you run the pressure down. Has the Honda gas engine. Starts on first or second pull every time. Let me know if you're interested.

the coltri sub compressors are about the cheapest ones that aren't downright dangerous. the used ones can be as low as 1k.

if you don't want to go used, the alkins are the best value in the 3k range.

Another issue with cheap compressors is the possibility of high partial pressures of unwanted gases.

If you have a badly made unit that adds a bit of carbon monoxide into the cylinder being filled, as you go deeper, the partial pressure of the unwanted gas will become higher and its ill effects more pronounced. On a deep trimix dive, a little bad gas can become a potent bad gas.

These are the very best scuba compressors available on Scubaboard.com today. One day soon all scuba compressors on this forum will be like this. You are looking at the future for Scubaboard scuba compressors in the USA. For $300 dollars its a no brainer, Add a $100 for a filter and if it does you a 100 fills a year you can throw it away each year and buy a new one and still save all the travelling time to and from your LDS for a $4 fill.

For personal filling why bother paying 10X the price for anything else. Sure they are 40 l/min as opposed to 100L/min so what they take three times as long just get out of bed earlier.
You dont need to know anything else, enough information is on the data sheet for free. You dont need any more to make the purchase.

These China compressors are the way forward, our sponsors tells us so, saying anything less or if in any way I conflict with moderator control, my post will be redacted. Who knows one day soon these manufacturers from China may even sponsor a Scubaboard event like a Tek Show and get gurus in to spout on topic messages and have fanboy cheerleaders posting supportive messages. Then they may even charge you $300 just to visit the show allowing you then to buy the compressor with training. The future of scuba now with compressors added, just looking for brand adoption with a guru and a tad of Tek training for the sheep.
Sorry Iain, but I am a fairly dumb diver and haven't had my first coffee of the day yet. Are you serious about these cheap compressors being a viable option by spending a minimal amount of upgraded filtration, or am I missing something here, that I might pick up if I spent more time on site ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom