Eco Dive Center Bad Experience for New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting SamPark....for a person who kust got certified, you seem comfortable throwing around alot of SCUBA terms and acronyms. Also being on your OW Dives 1-4 (getting certified)....no Instructor should allow that student to have a camera with them.
Eh, he did a lot of research - and still gets some terms wrong, like "goggles." But what is with carrying a camera on certification dives...?! :eek:

Last edited:
No Don, it's about a dive shop in southern California.

Sampark, this is a thread about a Cozumel operator - in Mexico. Sounds like you are talking about a local Op...?

Eh, he did a lot of research - and still gets some terms wrong, like "goggles." But what is with carrying a camera on certification dives...?! :eek:

TC:
No Don, it's about a dive shop in southern California.
Indeed, I was just totally wrong. Sorry - edited, thanks.

Unsubscribing

camera was just a gopro strapped on the wrist on the whole time. I'm definitely new, but spent a lot of time reading. I'm a bit technical, so I like to get as much information as possible before coming to a decision.

BTW, what's wrong with goggles? Should I say mask? sorry.. I'm a noob.

Sam

Bella, Welcome to Scubaboard. I personally don't care that you didn't do an initial post in Introductions and Greetings, who reads those anyways? And gun's ablazin is the only way if you ask me. :ar15:

Anyway, I will tell you from experience that the "gruff and dry" atmosphere you experienced at Eco Dive center is common to a lot of dive shops/local divers (especially the "seasoned" divers) in California, until they get to know you that is. I don't really understand why, but I can tell you this; Being an active California diver is like being part of a really bad ass secret club. Welcome.

However being ridiculed by your instructor, especially during open water training, is ridiculous and uncalled for. It doesn't help anyone, especially somebody new, to master the skills any quicker. I'm glad you shared your experience with us all, if for nothing else but to remind the assholes out there who run dive shops/dive boats that word travels fast down the grapevine.

I love my local shop, Pacific Wilderness. There is one in Orange County and San Pedro. They have great prices and I have never experienced the old "bait n switch" from any of them. What they quoted me for my training is what I paid for.

Good luck!

P.S. Don't stray away from local shore dives! I would say every shore dive you do is worth two boat dives in terms of experience and confidence gained.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom