Edd Sorenson saves ow diver in a cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to hear the details of this experience from the perspective of the survivor. Wonder, however, what kind of abuse she'd be exposing herself to by talking about it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I would like to hear the details of this experience from the perspective of the survivor. Wonder, however, what kind of abuse she'd be exposing herself to by talking about it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It was a girl diving with her dad and brother. The dad knows just how bad he screwed up allowing this to happen. Edd said that a lot of tears were flowing when he surfaced with her. The brother said he was done, never going back ion the water, and the Sheriff gave the dad a harsh lecture, and threatened him with jail if they had to return. Edd said the girl survived because she was able to stay calm and apparently they had a good talk once they were out of the water.

Would she get beat up on here? Probably. I think she knows how stupid the idea was and no doubt she knows how lucky she is.

Would she get beat up on here? Probably. I think she knows how stupid the idea was and no doubt she knows how lucky she is.

If she was interested in sharing her thoughts, I could arrange for the post to be made anonymously.

God Bless you Edd! This is truly a miracle that she is alive.

As others have said get the training! Rescuers like Edd have to put themselves in harms way to save you from yourself. Its not fair to them or their families!

Caves are amazing, beautiful places but they can take your life in an instant. Cave diving can be done safely with the proper training and equipment. Cave divers are very disciplined divers trained to handle emergencies. Take the classes, invest in the gear, have fun!

The dad knows just how bad he screwed up allowing this to happen. Edd said that a lot of tears were flowing when he surfaced with her. The brother said he was done, never going back ion the water.......

This makes for a truly happy ending. It sounds like the message got through to these 3 divers and they are off the "likely to do something stupid" list. How was the girl (emotionally and mentally) when she surfaced? Was she put off of diving?

Remember, the OW diver's response that he knows how to dive and he is not an idiot. :shakehead:

Doh!!!! Ouch!!!! Still so much to learn. Some folks think that being ow certified is enough.

Way to go Edd.!!!!!!

Where is the story of Edd's rescue?

... and if she now knows how stupid the idea was, then getting beat up would be a rather pointless exercise. But hearing her story could very well help answer the question posed previously about what's going through the mind of people who do stuff like this. And that may help someone else understand how dangerous it is.

Yes, there's a tendency for people with just a little bit of experience to decide they have more knowledge and skill than they actually do ... we see it on ScubaBoard regularly. With respect to incidents like this ... where people are going on dives they have no business attempting ... these are opportunities to reach the people who most need to understand. The best way to do that is to make it possible for them to hear from someone who's survived such an experience in an honest, thoughtful ... and non-judgmental ... conversation.

This is a rare opportunity to have that conversation ... I hope someone can reach the family members involved and convince them that they have something of value to share with the greater dive community ... assuming that they do, in fact, understand the magnitude of their mistakes ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom