Edd Sorenson saves ow diver in a cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You wouldn't find me in a cave or penetrating a wreck deeply. It absolutely amazes me that some OW divers think they are sufficiently trained to do much of anything these days. I see OW divers diving solo to depths in excess of 150 fsw with no redundancy at all. Fortunately we don't have caves around here that one could get into too much trouble in.

Hats off to Edd :)

Is there somewhere to find more info on this?

From what I've gathered in this thread seems to be mostly bits and pieces of the details, many thanks!

And honestly, I don't think much more can be done to warn people, they tell us in OW, and there's (apparently) a reaper or cross bones sign at the mouth of most of these things... I think people that choose to ignore warnings will do so regardless of what they're told (or they are willing to listen and go along with those that do... ) and for some, knowing its perilous is the attraction in the first place.

It was a girl diving with her dad and brother. The dad knows just how bad he screwed up allowing this to happen. Edd said that a lot of tears were flowing when he surfaced with her. The brother said he was done, never going back ion the water, and the Sheriff gave the dad a harsh lecture, and threatened him with jail if they had to return. Edd said the girl survived because she was able to stay calm and apparently they had a good talk once they were out of the water.

Would she get beat up on here? Probably. I think she knows how stupid the idea was and no doubt she knows how lucky she is.

Amazing story - I too would like to hear more.

People set up on-line donations for all sorts of causes. I don't know how to do this but if someone set up a "Thanks, here is some $$$ for beer" account for Edd Sorenson (whom I have never met) I would happily contribute.

Amazing story - I too would like to hear more.

People set up on-line donations for all sorts of causes. I don't know how to do this but if someone set up a "Thanks, here is some $$$ for beer" account for Edd Sorenson (whom I have never met) I would happily contribute.

Besides being a good person who gives a lot to the local dive community, Edd runs a great dive shop ... the best way to say thanks would be to frequent his business and help assure it's successful. It is, after all, in the interest of everyone who dives in the Marianna area to keep him around as a resource. Besides, he offers the price, products, and customer service that make a visit worthwhile ... even if it's just a visit over the internet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks Bob,

I have bookmarked the online store.

You wouldn't find me in a cave or penetrating a wreck deeply...
This particular cave has a small entrance leading into a fair sized but not very tall (from memory I'd say the room is about 4 to 5 feet from ceiling to floor at most) with a silty bottom. Like many rooms in wrecks, a single OW style flutter kick inside the entrance is enough to totally obscure the entrance in a cloud of silt; turning around in the room using OW style flutter kicking will fill the whole room with silt.

Entering any cavern or room where the diver must turn around to get out is *not* a "swim-through" and should be avoided by any OW diver who (1) hasn't been trained in overhead environment diving, and (2) isn't properly equipped for it, and (3) doesn't *use that training and equipment* for even the simplest overhead environment penetration.

If any of y'all haven't read it yet, please read this article... View attachment Silt!.pdf

And "BZ" to Edd!

Rick

Last edited:
Besides being a good person who gives a lot to the local dive community, Edd runs a great dive shop ... the best way to say thanks would be to frequent his business and help assure it's successful. It is, after all, in the interest of everyone who dives in the Marianna area to keep him around as a resource. Besides, he offers the price, products, and customer service that make a visit worthwhile ... even if it's just a visit over the internet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for the link. Turns out I had already patronized his shop through an online purchase a while back. While I'm sure my small purchase won't mean he will be retiring anytime soon from the profit, I can say the price was great and the service was top notch. All this while helping support one of the all time good guys, although I've never actually met him. What more could you ask for?

Reactions: Jax
You won't find a braver, more selfless diver than Edd. And he's a heck of a nice guy, too. But, please, let's stop asking so much of him - if you are not trained, experienced and prepared, stay the h3ll out of the overhead!

You won't find a braver, more selfless diver than Edd. And he's a heck of a nice guy, too. But, please, let's stop asking so much of him - if you are not trained, experienced and prepared, stay the h3ll out of the overhead!

Sounds like the making of a good training video project for you... :)

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom