Edd Sorenson saves ow diver in a cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They also said she was found in an air pocket created by the groups exhaust bubbles and that she had 1200psi remaining. Amazing.

Maybe that's why OW divers wear snorkels in caves?

Here's a Video of Twin a friend of mine shot. The lighting in the cave section needs work, but I'm posting it for the views of the "twin" entrances at 0:45 and 1:00. Also get a good impression of the cavern on the way out at 15;15

[Vimeo]15924598[/Vimeo]

First person account, posted elsewhere...

First, let me say that I know this is a novel, but I think the details are important….

My husband, one of our dive buddies, and I were just finishing our first dive into twin when these three divers entered. I was on my last minute of a safety stop when I saw a girl enter flutter kicking with a single tank and a pistol grip light. We were up as high as we could get to avoid silting and our lights were off so I’m not even sure if she saw us when she came in. Her father followed her in and then her brother. Their flutter kicks were stirring up so much silt that at that point I swam to the gold line before the vis went to zero. My husband followed me to the line and was behind me, both of us facing the exit. Almost immediately after grabbing the line the visibility was zeroed. I think the girl had continued on back towards the signs and the chimney with her father behind her. While I was on the line only a few feet from the keyhole exit, I felt the fins and arms of her brother and saw his light in my face. He felt me; I gave him the thumbs up to get out of the cave. There was a lot of fumbling; I could feel him in front of me for what felt like minutes and then I think he exited. The wife of our dive buddy was driving the pontoon boat and said she saw the son surface first.

I could feel our reel tied into the gold line, but could see nothing. When I followed the reel, I thought in all of the chaos it had come loose because it felt so short. I traced it back up to the gold line where I felt my husband’s hand. I knew it was him by his dry suit cuff. He grabbed my arm and we exited the cave by touch contact. My husband came up before me and I was seconds to the surface after him. Our friend exited through the smaller opening that is visible to the left of the keyhole exit when you are inside the cavern. The son was on the surface alone. When we surfaced my husband was asking him if they were open water divers and we were both asking him what the hell they were doing in a cave. His reply was that it was okay, the other diver, his father, was an instructor. When his dad surfaced without his sister his demeanor and understanding of the situation was beginning to change.

When she did not surface immediately, we began looking for the entrance, but with the silt-out it was impossible to see and this was our first time in twin. There were bubbles, but we didn’t think they were coming from the larger opening. It was incredibly obvious that this situation was dire. We told our friend’s wife on the pontoon boat to call Edd. She found the number and called the shop within minutes. Edd was teaching a class, but Frank was able to catch him probably minutes before he got in the water. From the time we called to the time Edd and Frank got there it was probably between 16 and 20 minutes.

While we were waiting for Edd, we got out of the water to try to let the silt clear and finally got the son out. The girl’s father was frantically looking for the entrance and understandably ignoring our attempts to get him out. He finally submitted when he realized he was not going to be able to do anything to help her and that Edd was on his way.

When Edd got there the father told him where he had seen her last and Edd jumped in. Time was so jumbled, but what I believe was about 5 to 10 minutes Edd surfaced with her alive. When we saw the two them surface alive everyone on the dock cheered with relief.

She was surprisingly calm but shaking from cold and fatigue. She had found one of the permanent air pockets in the cave and was actually able to get up in it and breathe. I think the pocket she was in was somewhere near the chimney. She said she was so cold that she just kept kicking to stay warm. She said she had left the air pocket twice to try and find the exit. When Edd found her he was able to go up and talk to her before taking her out. I can’t imagine the relief she must have felt when she saw his face pop up in that pocket.

Edd is a true hero. The stars aligned for that girl to live. If we had not been there to call Edd and if he had not been nearby, this would have been a very different outcome. None of us on site knew the cave well enough to find someone in a zero vis situation. Thank you Edd, you are extraordinary. I have never witnessed bravery like that before. We all owe you a debt of gratitude for what you do.

This was the second group to approach twin while we were diving. The first were snorkelers in canoes that were going to snorkel into the cave without any tanks. Thankfully they changed their minds; our friend on the boat heard them talking about how much colder the water was there. The second group was this group/family of three. Our partner’s wife told them we were down and were coming up in the next 10 to 20 minutes or so, yet they still entered. They were also told earlier in the day about the silt potential of twin, yet they still entered. This man was an OW instructor diving with his two college age children, yet they still entered. To say that this instructor and his children made a phenomenally stupid mistake is the understatement of the year. Needless to say, they received a very stern lecture from the sheriff when he arrived on site with his team.

There were so many lessons learned that day. I’m so grateful that they were learned the easy way thanks to Edd and the incredibly quick actions of his operation.

With diving, most of it is simple. If they have a reasonable amount of control over buoyancy, diving is easy. If you were to run a pole on SB, on how many divers in their first, say, 100 dives had a life threatening issue, I would have to believe it would be a very small number. They don't know what the dangers are. I know, they all have been told not to do this or that, but without having some experience with the negative aspects of thier choices, those warnings of will fade fairly rapidly.

You got it, Fish-R-Man.

Diving is easy and safe. Diving is very dangerous.

Both are true. Until you experience something untoward, most people experience diving the first way.

- Bill

---------- Post Merged at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:15 AM ----------

Maybe that's why OW divers wear snorkels in caves?

Here's a Video of Twin a friend of mine shot. The lighting in the cave section needs work, but I'm posting it for the views of the "twin" entrances at 0:45 and 1:00. Also get a good impression of the cavern on the way out at 15;15

[Vimeo]15924598[/Vimeo]

Nice video, Ian!

Don't worry, Edd -- you'll never find ME in there!!

- Bill

I'm really at a loss as to what is going through these people's heads when they go into these areas.......

A quick browse through the technical/wreck/cave/solo forums soon illuminates...

"It will never happen to them..." :shakehead:

---------- Post Merged at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:09 AM ----------

The 1984 manual did not mention overhead environments, caves, caverns or wrecks. The 1988 manual certainly did though. While it did not go into as much detail or repetition as the current manual does, it was pretty clear that going into any area without a direct swim straight up to the surface was extremely dangerous, potentially lethal and not to be done without further training and equipment.

I think that PADi are still very cautious of anything 'overhead related' - hence the lack of standardized penetration courses for cave or wreck. It's a glaring 'black hole' in their syllabus - and there has to be a policy reason behind that.

Reactions: Jax
The 1984 manual did not mention overhead environments, caves, caverns or wrecks. The 1988 manual certainly did though. While it did not go into as much detail or repetition as the current manual does, it was pretty clear that going into any area without a direct swim straight up to the surface was extremely dangerous, potentially lethal and not to be done without further training and equipment.
Since I could not find my PADI 1983 or later manuals I borrowed a students last night during class. Right there in Section 3 on page 139 is an entire page dedicated to overhead environments and their dangers, they even use the phrase "A deceptively easy way to die". :shocked:
Maybe students are glossing over it since the background is a different color, thinking it is just another advertisement page.

Since I could not find my PADI 1983 or later manuals I borrowed a students last night during class. Right there in Section 3 on page 139 is an entire page dedicated to overhead environments and their dangers, they even use the phrase "A deceptively easy way to die". :shocked:
Maybe students are glossing over it since the background is a different color, thinking it is just another advertisement page.
I wish I had my OW book from 1995. I simply can't remember if there was anything in there about overhead environment. And, if overhead environment wasn't explained, I wouldn't have known what it meant, anyway.
but, my book is long gone, lost in the divorce vacuum. Oh, well.

"Time was so jumbled, but what I believe was about 5 to 10 minutes Edd surfaced with her alive. When we saw the two them surface alive everyone on the dock cheered with relief."

I can't even imagine being present at such an amazing miracle. I got choked up and misty eyed just reading about it.

uh... I mean ... choked up and misty eyed in a manly, macho sort of way...

You da man, Edd!

Reactions: Jax
Knowledge is what you know, metaknowledge is what you know about what you know, gives four categories:

Things you know and you know you know them, e.g. I know how to make brownies and I know I know how to make brownies.
Things you know but don't know you know, hard to think of an example but most of us have tried something new and found out we knew how to do it because some earlier skill transferred.
Things you don't know and know you don't know, e.g. I know I don't know how to repair a transmission, thus I'm not going to try.
Things you don't know and don't know you don't know; those are the ones that get us in to trouble, and not just diving in caves.

You could take one of those Olympic swimmers, a world-class swimmer, but one who had the general public's knowledge of scuba, maybe a general picture of a tank, probably with double-hoses coming out of it, maybe some idea that you'd need weight to go down, and having heard of the bends but not knowing what they are or how you get or avoid them, give that swimmer a pile of scuba gear and tell 'em to put it on, with no instruction, then throw them over the side of the boat. The don't know how the valves work, what the power inflater is for, how much weight to wear, how to clear a mask, how to ascend safely -- while some of those swimmers would probably survive, a good number wouldn't, despite their incredible swimming skills. Same deal with an OW diver going in to a cave. Unfortunately, unlike the completely untrained person who is very unlikely to don scuba gear and jump in the water, the trained OW diver often believes they have the skills to deal with the overhead environment; they don't know what they don't know. That's the piece that's missing in training; just saying "don't do it" doesn't get the message across; if 'just say no' worked our drug problem would be over. While something about overhead environments was probably in my OW book I don't remember it, and it certainly wasn't mentioned in the classroom.

The more I read this, think about the details, the more I think this is such a miracle. Edd is really amazing, selfness. I think I will plan a trip to Florida to meet him and some diving of course.

Back
Top Bottom