Editing RAW Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The oly software is very fast but i don't know how it is compared to photoshops, and other leading software

This is a one of the orf files done with auto in PS with Camera Raw

prop1.jpg

This one I screwed around a bit more...

prop.jpg

No matter what I do it still looks like crap with the settings. :(

rhyz:
This is a one of the orf files done with auto in PS with Camera Raw

prop.jpg

No matter what I do it still looks like crap with the settings. :(

Did you try using the eye dropper to set white balance and clicking on some of the white sand area? AND, if you want to see how your Oly Camera set it, select the "as shot".

Also try unclicking the auto settings boxes in Adobe Raw Converter when playing around with it. They can be spot on with topside pics, but I find they make things worse with u/w shots...

I have just found this on another thread.
underwater.atn
If you google it you get a PDF which walks you through some steps to help clean up underwater pictures.
I have not tried this myself yet, maybe I will get time tonight.
The .atn file is an automated procedure of the steps described in the PDF doc I found.

See if this helps and post the before and after Pls

victor:
I have just found this on another thread.
underwater.atn
If you google it you get a PDF which walks you through some steps to help clean up underwater pictures.
I have not tried this myself yet, maybe I will get time tonight.
The .atn file is an automated procedure of the steps described in the PDF doc I found.

See if this helps and post the before and after Pls

Is that the different layered atn? If so yes I have that one my other pc and used it to clean up a cple pictures. Works nicely on alot of them.

Orignal:

P1010102.jpg

With the layer technique:

P1010102layerturtle2-1.jpg

With a U/W filter technique:

P1010102-filtered.jpg

As for the raw files, yes I have been playing around with all the settings, moving them to see how it changes the photo on preview and the actual file itself. But nothing really makes it any better than what I have. I'm going to go back and reread the CD manual and google some sites up to read. And will try some RAW shots today to see if I can get some better ones. RAW is RAW right I dont need to screw with setting beforehand or maybe I read that wrong. Those original posted propellor shots were done RAW+jpeg. I'll try again :shakehead

actually your prop pic (post RAW modifications) isn't that bad. I think you just need to run it through PS's noise reduction filter and maybe some adjustment to curves... problem is that you can't bring back what is not there without doing something more drastic like some of those underwater actions which try to put red back into the pic.

and yes RAW is RAW. RAW+jpeg just means the camera is producing both a RAW file and a jpg file.

WOW pakman you got alot of beautiful shots there!! I will continue my quest for editing the RAW, just took some more outside to see if there is a difference inbetween the two. Quess I was thinking that I could basically create the perfect picture in the RAW format verse doing independant settings on a jpg. Not havng a strobe, being a novice all adds into the equation I see. :11doh:

Hi rhys

Re your propellor shots - could you give us some more info , specifically shutter speed , aperture and ISO setting ? Also the depth at which you took the photo . And which camera ?

I have taken plenty of natural light photos in poor viz and have never had as much of a noise issue as can be seen your photo , maybe it's a simple camera setting that you need to get right.

I'm not trying to be critical here , just want to help .

Olympus SP350
Shutter Speed: 1/1000 sec
Exposure Program: Manual
F-Stop: f/8.0
Aperture Value: f/8
Max Aperature Value: f/2.8
ISO Speed Ratings: 200
Focal Length: 8.0mm
Lens:
Flash: Did not Fire
No Strobe detection
Compulsory flash suppression
Flash function present
No red-eye reduction
Metering Mode: Pattern

But after printing out alot of the CD Manual and reading it last night and again today. And doing test shots getting used to using the F-Stop, Shutter and whatnot I've gotten alot better shots.

Those pictures I didnt set anything thinking its RAW so I can do everything on the PC. I learned that I can't. I see I still have to set some values to make the shot nice.

rhyz, 1/1000sec??? can you check to see what ISO setting was used on that pic? Unless you were really shallow and it was really bright the camera must have set a really high ISO to be able to use such a fast shutter speed!!! That might explain why there is soo much noise.

Edit: or is that a typo? should be 1/100s not 1/1000s?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom