Editing RAW Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Larry, definitely going to try that and the advise from the previous replies. I'm definitely NOT going to just point and shoot now. :wink:

Larry C:
It's pretty amazing what you can do with a RAW image to save it, but getting it close to start with is the solution. One thing you might try is instead of going full manual, maybe try a few shots on "S" mode. Set the shutter speed fast enough to prevent blur and see what the camera does with the Aperture and ISO. Then you can try setting the aperture and watching the shutter speed. If you're getting good pictures, this will give you a starting point for similar conditions next time.

If you are not using a strobe, there is really no reason to shoot Manual. Choose A mode in lighting where you are getting good shutter speeds. If shooting in lower light you may want to use S mode. If you can't get f4 light at whatever shutter speed based on the focal length 1/60 for example if shooting in the 50mm range, then you can open wide up, or start increasing the ISO. Due to the tiny sensors on these types of cameras the noise at higher ISO's (above 400, or even 200 in some cases) the images quickly become worthless. New PnS's are doing a better job at higher ISO's, but I've not seen examples from any that I would consider good at over ISO 800.

Maybe time for a Flash! There sure are some good used Ikelites on Ebay if you don't want TTL, and they are cheap, like under $100.

Yeah I would like a flash sometime in the future, for now I'll continue learning the different aspects of the 350. Then I should have a better handle on it when I do plunk down the cash and get my strobe/s.

Back
Top Bottom