Editions of Bennett and Elliott's "Physiology and Medicine of Diving"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frank O

Contributor
Reaction score
If I wanted to get this book, would a used copy of the 1993 fourth edition do as well as a copy of the January 2003 fifth edition? Or are there significant changes from over the past decade that make it worth seeking out the newer one?

Well there have been significant changes to deco theory and modeling between when I started diving in '96 and today. So I'm thinking the newer the better, unless you're looking for a history lesson.

Hi Franko:

I would advise getting the 2003 edition. I have never suggested to anyone to purchase the 1993 edition. :book2:

Dr deco:doctor:

Because of limited shelf space, many libraries or private diving physicans may sell or trash the older editions to make room for the newer edition.

For my purposes, only the latest will do.
I'd be happy to part with old versions, but I keep one past edition in other offices as ready reference.

However, diving medicine hasn't been marching forward as quickly as other fields of medicine, and 60% of the old version is still established: decompression protocols, oxygen toxicity, DCI, CAGE, fitness to dive etc., are roughly unchanged. Of course, one can never know if a 1993 controversy or unknown has been better understood in the 2003 edition.

However, a free book or cheapo book versus paying $150 for the latest edition maybe a compelling way to get a detailed glimpse at an authoritative diving physiology reference for low cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom