Eel ID -- Can You Help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JW13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Took a picture of this eel on Bonaire recently and I'm not sure what species it is. :idk:

I'm thinking it is a Goldentail Moray exhibiting an uncommon color reversal, but that's just a guess. What do you think?

Bonaire 2011 193_Edit.jpg

yes, goldentail. Colors vary a bit but the main thing is size (goldentails are always small, ranging from size of your index finger to maybe size of a hotdog in diameter and never more than a foot long). Once you find one, you will start seeing them everywhere, too. They are very common throughout the Caribbean.

robin

Goldentail, looked it up, color reversal(described exactly as seen in your pic), is listed as a rare variation. Congrats on getting that shot...

I've seen them quite a bit bigger than hot dog diameter. Several that color near Tories Reef.

The picture in the original post was taken at Tori's Reef also. Wonder if it's successive generations of this odd color variation......that is, why multiple sightings at this one site of what appear to be different animals?

My shot is from 2009 and the Rock Pile on the Klein, it was also shallow taken while snorkeling. He was pretty small maybe 3" diameter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom