Eels you have seen or know to exist around Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to my log book:
garden, yellow margin, Conger, snowflake, viper (big island only), zebra (big island only), and white mouth

Here are a couple recent eels I saw here on Maui.

2-24-15 Diving Five Caves (18).jpg2-24-15 Diving Five Caves (17).jpg2-27-15 Diving Five Caves 054.jpg3-9-15 Diving Five Caves 026.jpg5-1 & 2-15 Diving ML & FC 024.jpg5-1 & 2-15 Diving ML & FC 021.jpg

They are actually becoming kind of scarce. I think there has been too much over fishing and many have been caught and killed accidentally. I really like morays and wish I was seeing more of them lately. It's getting rare to find a large one these days.

If you are looking for some truly unique eels to round out your portfolio, check out Nagareda's Viviporous Brotula (Grammonus nagaredai-http://www.hawaiisfishes.com/fishes/neatfish/Grammonus_nagaredai.htm). We had heard rumors that this fish was only found at SCUBA depths at Three Room Cave on the Kona Coast of the Big Island. A group of us went through peering in every crack and crevice looking for the little critter and came up empty handed. Bo followed a ways behind and came face to face with this little guy, spending a good minute or so photographing it from nearly every angle. I have been back since and seen it zipping around, but have yet to see it calm down for a photo.

Also, you might try for some eel larvae (Leptocephalus-pictured below). They are uncommonly sighted on blackwater dives performed off the Kona coast of the Big Island and off the west side of Oahu.
Leptocephalus 2 small watermarked.jpgLeptocephalus small watermarked.jpgOpichthid leptocephalus 2 small watermarked.jpgLeptocephalus watermarked.jpg

Attachments

• Leptocephalus small watermarked.jpg
    Leptocephalus small watermarked.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 60
Maui doesn't have to be expensive. Check out VRBO for rentals -- you may not have a fancy condo on the beach, but you'll spend much less for an older unit that is up the road a little. And you can do an entire week of shore diving there, unless you are unfortunate enough to arrive when the surf is really up. We almost never boat dive on Maui any more. So for the cost of airfare, a cheap condo, and tank rental, you can spend a wonderful week in warm water.

Maui doesn't have to be expensive. Check out VRBO for rentals -- you may not have a fancy condo on the beach, but you'll spend much less for an older unit that is up the road a little. And you can do an entire week of shore diving there, unless you are unfortunate enough to arrive when the surf is really up. We almost never boat dive on Maui any more. So for the cost of airfare, a cheap condo, and tank rental, you can spend a wonderful week in warm water.

Thanks for bringing vrbo.com up. I used to use it a couple times a year for ski trips out west before I got into scuba. It's a great resource.

Back
Top Bottom