Effects of "Open Water" on Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just saw a promo for the movie "Open Water" where two divers get left at sea and presumably get stuff chomped off by sharks.

I was trying to figure out what that will do to the popularity of scuba as a recreational sport. I'm not sure if it would freak people out and make them stay away, or get people saying "Hey, maybe we should try that and see if we can get left at sea and have to fight off sharks... COOOLLL !!!"

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I doubt it will affect the popularity of diving too much, but expect a drastic increase in the number non-divers asking you questions such as the classics:

"Aren't you ever afraid of sharks?"
or
"Ever seen a shark?"

No...it wont scare me away....it may make me take a closer look at a boat operater next time!

I agree with sessions comment, might make me ask a few more questions about the dive boat and how they go about checking off and then checking on divers from the boat.

Hey alemaozinho, how long did it take you to get over the tramua of the dive shop incident? Hope your OK dude, That can be a seriously scary thing to happen. Happened to me once to, was horrible, especially as there was a sales guy still in the shop, he spent ages trying to flog me stuff i didnt want. I still have nightmares to this day.........

Well, The Blair Witch Project probably didn't kill off (pardon the pun) the number of hikers in the Maryland woods, so the scuba industry will probably go largely unaffected. It survived "Jaws," more or less, right?

I expect what others have already observed, that it will cause divers to be more cautious of the boats they go on, and possibly make non-divers think we're all psycho nut jobs.

My parents already ask me if I am "afraid of sharks." I am hoping they don't see this movie (i can hear the phone calls now when they find out I went diving each time)...although I am curious and might want to see it. :06:
RIOceanographer:
I doubt it will affect the popularity of diving too much, but expect a drastic increase in the number non-divers asking you questions such as the classics:

"Aren't you ever afraid of sharks?"
or
"Ever seen a shark?"

I'm already ebaying all my equipment, want to beat the rush........

Back
Top Bottom