Egressor pony bottle setup.. anyone seen this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have discussed about an enough size for a bail out situation. The conclusion was that 13CF is not enough. It looks fancy though. But, who cares. It is your life......:wink:

DaFireMedic:
Remember though, this set up is sold for hookah diving. In that context, it is probably accurate.

You mean for the hookah equiped serious explorer? I just spilt my beer darned you anyway! LOL

3dent:
At least this one can hold a 19 cu ft bottle.
At least that one gives something of an estimate of time at depth, as long as a recommendation that it's "intended for dives of no more than 30 feet"

I know the benefits (or lack thereof) of a Spareair type contraption, but I would never...ever...buy something that remotely looks like a fanny pack. They should have never been invented. They should have called it a REgressor instead, put some sequins on it or make the belt out of polyester. The only thing keeping it semi-modern is the bungee'd octo, hehe.

I was looking at their X-tra setup and it just looks like too much. Too many things to go wrong. If your going to have a redundant supply I would think it would be best to keep it redundant. Just the tank and a reg. Of course, lacking any practical experience at this point I'm not sure how insightful any of my comments on the subject can be :wink:

Ben

FreeFloat:
At least that one gives something of an estimate of time at depth, as long as a recommendation that it's "intended for dives of no more than 30 feet"

MikeFerrara:
You mean for the hookah equiped serious explorer? I just spilt my beer darned you anyway! LOL

Is it the danger level that determines what a serious explorer is, or is it the desire to explore? I would argue that it is the desire to explore. Gimme a hookah and I'll do some serious exploration.

Beer's bad for you anyway..... :wink:

I am a fan of pony systems as I have used mine in the past. Not personally but to help a buddy or other diver who left his brain back on the surface.

This contraption though, looks more like a liability when on scuba. The mounting looks like it will conflict with other equipment and it would be awkward to use and it is not easily passed off in an emergency. It would also be more difficult or dangerous to ditch at depth if needed.

Personally I would rather mount or preferable clip off a 19 or larger pony bottle. The smaller bottles aren't going to do much good if one is really needed as others have mentioned. An even better solution for buddy diving would be a larger reserve and a good buddy but I will take my pony anyway. :wink:

For that price it is much cheaper to buy a new 19-40 pony and a used 1st and 2nd for about $200. As long as you have the used stuff checked out it should be ok. Besides most dive shops sell their older rental gear "cheaper". And it is still good for a backup or even a main. At least around here it would be. A friend got a 7mm wetsuit for 200 that had only been used 2 times for example, but it was still rental gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom