Eight Year Old Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaronoff:
I think that all tanks now have burst disks, and if you blow an o ring all it would do it leak out crazy fast. I dont think tanks blow unless you are filling them on hot days. It happened in FLA a couple of years ago, i think. Anway, it is your decision as a parent as to when to start your kids in scuba. I dont have children myself but I know that if I did, I would only introduce it to them when they are ready to take the plunge.
I'm not thinking about tank accidents. I've read stuff about bone formation - muscle formation etc that would preclude the pressure of any kind of depth. As Kat pointed out - are 3rd graders -or 4th, 5th etc really capable of understanding Boyles Law? Have they really got the conceptualization skills necessary? Are they emotionally aware enough to make the right decisions?
I could have been an adult years before I was - I was an adult for years before I finally realized that I'd grown up! No two people are the same and some are ready for stuff a lot younger than others. In the end (hopefully), our parents know us better than we even do ourselves - we might not agree - but they are normally right (God it hurt me to write that!!!)
I only know how I have to bring up my own daughters - doing the best I can with what I know. For me to do less would do them a great injustice. For me to try to tell anyone else what to do would also be completely wrong. I'm only telling what I think for myself - and why. To put it rather bluntly I look at it like this: Are they ready for a sexual relationship? (that being something natural for everyone when they are mature enough) - if so, they MIGHT be ready for compressed air (that being unnatural for everyone - whatever maturity or age). I'm really not trying to preach here - just explaining how I think. Parents have the duty to work it out for themselves - and pray to God they get it right!!

Kat:
Here is the question:
Is a 3rd grader ready, physically, emotionally & mentally to be diving?

Answer (IMHO),
Define diving. is she ready to dive to any depth? of course not. is she ready to dive in a pool under close supervision? I think so. Many of the people on this and similiar threads have posted that snorkling will have to do. I agree, HOWEVER, swimming the surface with scuba gear on is not much different. I think this is part of the reason PADI came up with SASY (Scuba assisted snorkle for youth).

outlawaggie:
Juls,

The bottom line is that as a parent we have the responsibility for doing what we think is best for our children. Our job is to do as much research as possible to ensure that we are making informed decisions.

perfectly said! and just like the number of dives a divers has doesn't ensure he's a good or bad diver, I think only the child and the parent know when the child is ready... My only thing was putting a kid out in the open water too early, as a mom, it just scares me. (but so did the first time they left on the school bus, or started riding bikes, ect.)

Jaronoff:
I..Anway, it is your decision as a parent as to when to start your kids in scuba. I dont have children myself but I know that if I did, I would only introduce it to them when they are ready to take the plunge.

Your quote is both right and wrong, IMHO. As an instructor it is MY responsibility to determine if I am willing to accept your child into scuba under my terms, regardless of what you, their parent feels. I have turned some down because I did not feel comfortable with them after talking to them away from their parents, attitude and/or maturity make the decision. By the same token, one of the best students I ever had was only 12. I will not consider teaching anyone under 12 period, that is my choice. I have been called all sorts of things for having that rule but it is MY rule and noone can make me change it.

Yes, it is the parents decision as to whether to allow their child to take, but it is also the instructors on wheter or not to allow it also.

My son breathed from a reg in a pool at age 8. By 10 he was using full scuba gear diving with me in about 6 to 10 feet. But, he grew up on the beach and had been snorkeling since age 4. No way I would take him deeper, although he kept begging me to. But I think he could have learned the concepts and done well. It's just the thought of losing yours, or any child, that really hurts.

An update.

I just signed my eight year old daughter up for SSI's Scuba Rangers program. http://www.scubarangers.com/index2.html Although I am PADI certified, I researched all of the programs available in Houston and found that the SSI program at ScubaHouston http://www.scubahouston.com/Rangers/Rangers.htm has a large group of kids that meet regularly to practice, dive in the pool, etc. It almost equates to a group like girl/boy scouts as they have field trips, meetings twice a month, activities at the meetings etc. It also indicates that the staff involved specialize in working with kids.

Hi

I started at 11 with my dad. Thats diving in open water never did it before that day in a pool but a lake is really just a big pool. :D

I could have started earlier but my dad felt I was not ready.
8 yrs old is young but if the child is ready then why not ? But this is not a hockey game or baseball you as parents can not push your child into diving too early or make them do things in the water because you feel they are ready. They must be ready. If you and your child is ready for diving and the kid has been in the water snorkeling and all the other fun things then let them try. To breath air from a reg does not mean you have to dive to 100' + but it would be just as much fun at 10' for an 8 yr old.

I can hardly wait for both of my daughters to get into the water but I can WAIT till they are ready.

Cheers
Derek

outlawaggie:
I noticed a couple of old threads on this topic. Thought I'd see what everyone had to say.

My daughter turns 8 next month :11: (I'm getting old). Although I am PADI certified I have already enrolled her in SSI's Scuba Rangers (8-10 yr olds). However, I should point out that I looked at ALL the schools (PADI, NAUI, etc) here in the Houston area. The shop I am going through has a large, established Scuba Rangers program. The class (which a sort of club from the kids point of view) start with five hours of one on one PRIVATE instruction and then continues to meet twice a month all year long to practice in the pool. Parents are welcome to dive with the kids in the pool which is suprisingly fun. Upon the instructors approval the kids are allowed to go on open water (lake) dives but only with an instructor as a buddy. Depth is strictly limited to 15 feet. I think the main thing to do is to find a school that specializes in young divers and has an established program. Additionally, I am taking the rescue class for my own peace of mind. Just my two cents.

Thoughts??

Scuba Rangers is NOT a c-card. Scuba Rangers is a VERY controlled entry level program that teaches kids scuba skills. If someone is telling you that your child can "dive" after going through the program the are DEAD WRONG! NO one certifies 8 year olds. It is a great club and if run properly it is a really fun time for kids. Legally scuba rangers can only dive with a Certified Scuba Ranger Instructor, in POOL LIKE conditions with a 1 to 4 ratio.

Hope this helps....

I am facing a similar problem. My nearly 10 year old daughter is asking to get certified. At 5 she did the SASY and was natural and understood that when the needle struck the red zone it was time to stop. She swam to the instructor, showed him the gauge stripped off the unit and swam away. (He was at the edge of the pool) She has been "hooked" ever since. In the time since, she has used the SASY in the lake on a few occasions, and has been allowed to use a scuba rig in the shallow end of the pool.

I have spoken to her about this many times, I have every intention of letting an instructor make the final call. I also will not sit in class with her and unless it is necessary I will not be in the pool with her during her training. This is because of what happened in my open water class.

There was a Father getting his 12 year old daughter certified and he never shut up. Most of what he said was irrevelant, and outdated. The Instructor finally asked him to leave. I just do not want to risk being that guy.

My daughter has also accepted the fact that she may have to wait and has enough activities to keep her busy until then.

My only question is why does it matter what agency she is certified with? I have niticed this "rift" between agencies before. Seems silly to me, I could care less what agency certified you or anyone else, the bottom line and my only question is, Do you dive? (Switching gears, sorry. shopuld I start another thread?)

I like to reference something a biker said to me..."I don't care what you ride as long as you ride."

dive4funOften:
Scuba Rangers is NOT a c-card. Scuba Rangers is a VERY controlled entry level program that teaches kids scuba skills. If someone is telling you that your child can "dive" after going through the program the are DEAD WRONG! NO one certifies 8 year olds. It is a great club and if run properly it is a really fun time for kids. Legally scuba rangers can only dive with a Certified Scuba Ranger Instructor, in POOL LIKE conditions with a 1 to 4 ratio.

Hope this helps....

I'm well aware of the above. Do you really think I'd allow my eight year old to take off to the Gulf of Mexico to go diving because she completed Scuba Rangers? As I said Rangers is similiar to girl scouts...its a group of kids interested in diving that can meet and dive togaether albeit in a pool.

ohmdiver:
I am facing a similar problem. My nearly 10 year old daughter is asking to get certified.

I have spoken to her about this many times, I have every intention of letting an instructor make the final call. I also will not sit in class with her and unless it is necessary I will not be in the pool with her during her training. This is because of what happened in my open water class.

My daughter and I had the same conversation. I explained that her instructor would dictate whether or not she could take the class or wait until next year. It seems that too many people get stuck on the age of a person. I ahve been diving with 40 year olds that were less mature than my eight year old.

ohmdiver:
There was a Father getting his 12 year old daughter certified and he never shut up. Most of what he said was irrevelant, and outdated. The Instructor finally asked him to leave. I just do not want to risk being that guy.

Zohe had her first private lesson yesterday. I stayed out of the room/pool. Zohe listens better when I'm not there as a distraction. Also, I didn't want to be the guy you described.

ohmdiver:
My only question is why does it matter what agency she is certified with? I have niticed this "rift" between agencies before. Seems silly to me, I could care less what agency certified you or anyone else, the bottom line and my only question is, Do you dive? (Switching gears, sorry. shopuld I start another thread?)

I don't think it matters at all. As I said, I'm PADI certified but Scuba Rangers is a SSI program. All of the agencies reconize everyone else's certifications. I looked more for an agency with an established program. Here in Houston SSI had that program.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom