either or

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dori fish

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,
I was wondering what would be major differences between lp 95's and hp100's, besides the pressure. As someone who would double them up later on, which has better characteristics for a wreck diver? Fills are no problem in 3500psi and 2800 psi. I would like to hear from cavers and wreckers please, it would be a great help. :dork2::dork2::dork2::dork2::dork2::dork2:
Thanks in advance

The LP95 is bigger, heavier and holds less air.

The 95 is bigger around (8" vs 7.5") but shorter in height than the 100 by 3" or so. If you are short stocky person doubling the 95 might be the way to go other wise the 100 would probably trim out better for a taller person. IIRC correctly HP cylinders tend to be favored by NE divers as they are also a bit more negatively buoyant than LP. So less need for extra lead with a dry suit.

and an lp 108 vs hp 100

The 95 is bigger around (8" vs 7.5") but shorter in height than the 100 by 3" or so. If you are short stocky person doubling the 95 might be the way to go other wise the 100 would probably trim out better for a taller person. IIRC correctly HP cylinders tend to be favored by NE divers as they are also a bit more negatively buoyant than LP. So less need for extra lead with a dry suit.

If you need extra lead with double 95's even in a dry suit you have way too much air in the suit and/or BC!:shocked2: Or you have alot of " natural buoyancy". The other difference is at 3500(3442) psi HP 100's have 100 cu ft of gas. With 3500 in a 95 (common wreck or cave fill) you have 125 cu ft of gas. Much nicer:D. Even with 3200 which is what I normally fill all my tanks to( except the lp 72's they get 2800-3000) you have 115 cu ft of gas.

And just do the math for the 108's. The LP tanks are heavy but you are nearly always guaranteed a full fill. Not every place will fill to Hp rated capacity. I dive 72's, 85's and 95's. All LP.

Jim, I should have qualified my comment on the extra lead as when diving the cylinder as a single. If someone needs more lead when diving them as doubles then yikes!!

That;s what caught my eye. I'm diving my 95's as singles now. Nice for OW checkouts. THe only reason I;ve not put them together is that with my 72's and 85;s that has been enough gas for the dives I do. THe other reason is that I'm not doing enough boat dives to require the 95's together. Double 95;s with regs and plate are about 110 lbs. I am not gonna mess with that in shore dives. I want to be able to just stand up and fall off the boat with those things on. I'm not very big to begin with and really like the lp85's. I bought the 95's because I could not turn down a new set of lp 95's that needed a hydro and had been stored since being bought for 200 bucks plus shipping! THat is correct- $200 plus 80 for shipping from Minnesota. I felt so guilty that I gave him an extra $100. Came with original receipt and the sale price stickers on em. He never dove em as shortly after buying them he elected to get out of cold water diving.

is a lp 108 the equivalent fill to a hp120 when overfilled to a 3500psi

IS it possible to overfill an lp 108 to 3500 psi?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom