Aluminum 72 (AL72): what to do with it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmassey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just picked up a set of aluminum 72’s. I thought they were AL80’s, but they’re not. They’re 6.9” diameter 2475 PSI tanks. A bit of research seems to indicate that these were possibly the first commercially available aluminum tanks, they did not stick around long and are not fondly remembered. They were derisively called Floaties because even full and with a regulator they had a tendency to be positively buoyant.

My question is: do these tanks have any utility for a modern SCUBA diver?

Please note that I am fully aware that these tanks are made with 6351 aluminum, that 6351 suffers from sustained load cracking and therefore has a greater than 0% chance of rupture, that they require a hydro with a visual eddy test, and that the vast majority of dive shops will not fill them. Ignoring all that, once all of that is done and the tanks are full, what task can they do? (‘Besides that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?’)

Single-tank backmount doesn’t make sense. I am a technical and cave diver, so I have a place in my inventory for both deco and stage bottles. I doubt notably floaty tanks would make good stage bottles… Maybe deco bottles, where you won’t be moving anywhere once you use them? Something like EAN50 where you could use the volume?

I don’t have much into them, and I will have to put something into them to make them usable. So I’m not really looking to spend money just to use a tank poorly-suited to the task. Is there any way that this tank can earn its hydro test? :)

And this is Scubaboard, so feel free to make all mailbox/light/bell suggestion or “ship them to me for proper disposal” jokes you want — I can’t stop you anyway — but I really am looking for suggestions that will prevent the destruction of these tanks.

You may use them, for light stuff, if passed hidro and VIP.
Used one of these long time ago, they are quite buoyant, but, if handle that, there is no why not use it

I have a pile of them in my garage with the other 6351 tanks. I haven't found a use for them outside of umbrella stands.

I have a pile of them in my garage with the other 6351 tanks. I haven't found a use for them outside of umbrella stands.
Maybe a decorative light stand :)

Really, not be a smartarse, but sincere, they are scrap metal. Most shops will not fool with them and they have horrid buoyancy specs.

Again they are so light in the water, it is a problem. I would take it directly to the scrap yard.

I would not waste the hydro and VE costs (which is steep around here) on these floaty balloons

Make decorative planters out of them.

One of local shops paints them scuba flag colors and puts them around the building as decoration.

Spit-ballin' ... Bundle them together with your steel stages for a more neutral package?

Spit-ballin' ... Bundle them together with your steel stages for a more neutral package?

Takes the point out of using steel tanks in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom