Hydro Saga

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I want to make it clear from the start, that it all began with a dumb mistake on my part, so I will own the blame.

I was preparing for my annual snowbird Florida stay, and I knew my preparations had to include VIPing my tanks. (I am certified for it.) I take a couple LP steel 85s to Florida with me, and I use them for single tank NDL dives and for sidemount in caves. I started to do the VIP and realized they were due for hydro in January as well. There was not enough time to get it done before I left, but I wasn't concerned. I had gotten hydros at Scuba Tank Services in Hollywood before, and I wouldn't be diving the first week or two anyway because of recent surgery. They were always fast and thorough.

I got to Florida and discovered that Scuba Tank Services no longer exists. So I started calling around. The first place I called was Force E in Pompano Beach, and they assured me it could all be done, including oxygen cleaning and a 32% fill, in 5-7 days. That sounded just fine to me, so I left them there. When I did, I pointed out that they were Worthington Tanks, and the person on duty did not know what that meant. I explained that they needed special processing, and he put that in the notes.

After 9 days, I called, and the person on the phone said they should have been done by then. He would find out what was going on and call me back. He didn't. Three days later I called again. The person I talked to said they should have been done by then. He would check and get right back to me. He didn't.

I called again today (14 days), and I was told they were all done and ready for me. When I went in to pick them up, I immediately saw that one of the tanks did not have my valve on it. I use valves from a manifold set so that when I sidemount I have right and left hand valves with that extra extension on the side. After a bit of a search, they found the correct valve, and they started to drain the tank so they could put it on. That was when I checked the hydro stamps and saw that there was no + sign on either one.

They offered to send the tanks back to the guy who does the hydros. I asked how long that would take, and they didn't know. Could it take another two weeks? They didn't know. After two weeks, I wanted those tanks, but I also wanted that + sign. You never know when some tank filler somewhere is going to get anal about it.

So I am back to waiting for the tanks, all because I did not take care of it back home when I should have. Let that be a lesson to me.

1000008318.jpg

Just saying, lol.

Maybe. Just going to stamp my own tanks, 15 years into the future.

No dumber than my idea to "prestretch" galvanized tanks with 4000psi of water, with my shop pump. Before dropping them off.

Might blow up the cat.

John,

I have two new LP85s you can use until you get yours back. I am in Melbourne.
I will give that some thought if I don't get them back soon.

I will give that some thought if I don't get them back soon.
I am just up the road a little bit. Plus Devi and I would love to catch up over dinner.

Taking it private

In a pinch you couldn't rent? Did I miss something?

Oh, sure. I can rent. I mostly haven't been tempted because of the gale-force winds, and as I said, I was recovering from surgery anyway. I am only recently feeling up to it.

BTW, the + has still not been added. These things take time.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom