El Cantil condo report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jayjoans

Contributor
Reaction score
We're here in Cozumel right now, having a FABULOUSLY wonderful time diving with BlueXTsea. Months ago, as we were planning our trip for 6 of us, Christi (owner of BlueXTsea and scubaboard supporter) helped us decide to rent a 4br 4ba condo at El Cantil. For our purposes it was the perfect choice, as we had 3 adults and 2 teens planning on coming on the trip. The unit we have has 3br with king beds, and 1br with 2 double beds in it. (again, perfect for our needs) This ended up being less expensive than 3 "waterfront" rooms at a hotel right in town (actually streetfront is a better description)

El Cantil is located directly across the street from Chedraui, which puts you near enough to town to walk wherever you need to go. The check-in went very smoothly, they sent with us a very nice assistant to familiarize us with the property and amenities. We are very happy with the condo, it is immaculate, extremely roomy and well appointed. I would estimate that the unit is about 2000 sq. ft. The fully equipped kitchen makes the grocery store across the street so much more valuable. The sink has a purified water tap, as does the icemaker in the freezer.

Each unit has a spa on the deck, which is waterfront, great for a quick soak after diving. (I must not use flipper muscles on the treadmill at home..) Nice patio furniture, tables and lounge chairs. Each bedroom has access to a balcony, 2 to the water and 2 to town. The norte building is nice because you have a waterfront view and a view to the north to the cruise ship docks and downtown. The south building you get the water view, but the north view for them is a good look at the south side of the north building.

The unit we rented advertised flat screen tv's in every room. So here's a couple of things....they are flat screen (but you, like me, assumed flat panel....right?). You also may have assumed that having a TV also meant that you would have cable to the tv, right? nope, just dvd's in the rooms. The very large flat panel in the living room does have dish network though. This is not a big deal, and my assumptions were incorrect, not their representations. The maid service is perfect, by the time we get back from diving the place is cleaned, dishes done with new bath towels and new beach towels.
The A/C works REALLY well, we've come back with the place way too cold because we're used to cranking the a/c's in other places we've stayed to the max for it to keep up. The facilities are top notch, very well maintained, and for some reason seem to be empty this week.

Now for the diving related report..... It honestly could not be any easier to dive from here. BlueXTsea picks us up at the dock just under our balcony in the morning. When we return, it is literally 15 steps to the fresh water rinse tank, 10 steps to the El Cantil provided locker to hang our wetsuits, and then 10 steps to the freshwater pool and spa. All of us here have decided that we cannot come to Cozumel and stay anywhere else from now on. We feel that we have our whole Cozumel trip dialed in between El Cantil and BlueXTsea.

Just so you know:
None of us are drinkers, there is no bar here on the beach.
We're not big partiers, there is no "action" happening at the El Cantil.
We don't care for large crowds and all that goes with that.
We don't mind spending a little more, if the value is apparent, here it is very apparent to us.
We've stayed at VillaBlanca and Casa Mexicana before, so you know what our experience has been like. (we'd do CM again if we couldn't be here, NOT VB)
The 3 adults on the trip all agree that we could bring our wives back to the El Cantil and being nondivers, they would still really enjoy the accommodations and amenities.
There are many other configurations of El Cantil units available, we chose this one because of the bed layout, and we're happy.
There is wireless in the unit, that's what I'm using now.
Some units advertise free long distance using a Vonage service, don't plan on it working very well at all. The connection speed isn't blazing, and our Vonage has not worked.

Nice report - you really broke it down into things I like to know about when I consider a property.

You didn't talk about the showers...the other two I know who have stayed there have said the showers were very groovy, maybe your unit just has standard ones?

Hadn't heard of this place before (or if I had I didnt pay much attention!) But your review does a great job of listing specifics that everyone wants to know ....we may have to put this on our 'try it' list!

If you are in the units on the north side of the North tower beware of the disco/bar a couple of doors North on the water(1.5 or something like that). Get some earplugs. They may not have a bash, but if they do... you will want to kill someone at 3 or 4am.

The TV's in the bedrooms should be hooked up to the satellite system. Maybe the previous tenants were messing around with them and screwed up the connections. That being said you can only control the satellite with the living room unit. Whatever is being watched out there is what you see.
Enjoy

Rich

Um yeah, groovy showers. Very large, every one in our unit is at least 4' wide by 6' long, walk in, all tile with big sunflower shower head. Water pressure is good(a HUGE pet peeve of mine), the water on max hot is hot enough, but you won't be turning it down at all for the duration. I missed the shower report because the one I built at home is bigger :wink: Certainly this is the largest shower I've been in in a rental unit anywhere.

And another thing, their website is very informative with pictures and layouts of the units that are in the rental pool. (there's one above us for sale that's about 3000 sq. ft., I think the owner of the complex said the individual owner was offering it below market at $699,000...)

Oh yeah, a month or so ago somebody said they were seeing cheaper rates listed by owners on the net than are available at the El Cantil site. I freaked out a little bit, went on a price hunt and found that there are VERY few listings by owners of the unit, and if I did find them they were the same price. I think it was just owners that wanted to advertise THEIR unit to get the week rented.

Some units have independent dish available in some of the bedrooms. Our unit http://www.elcantilcasatropical.com/index.html for instance has a seperate TV with Dish reciever in the master bedroom. the two other bedrooms do not have TV. You need to look over each units specs to see what they have or don't have. Some units have a vonage line for instance. Read the description of the unit you are thinking about.

Augustus:
Some units have independent dish available in some of the bedrooms. Our unit http://www.elcantilcasatropical.com/index.html for instance has a seperate TV with Dish reciever in the master bedroom. the two other bedrooms do not have TV. You need to look over each units specs to see what they have or don't have. Some units have a vonage line for instance. Read the description of the unit you are thinking about.

Augustus, your condo looks beautiful! I've seen most of the units personally...but not this one...I love the decor! Is your's 4-C north or south?

I've said it many times...EL Cantil is the nicest place on the island to stay IMO if within your (collective) budget!

sddiver:
If you are in the units on the north side of the North tower beware of the disco/bar a couple of doors North on the water(1.5 or something like that). Get some earplugs. They may not have a bash, but if they do... you will want to kill someone at 3 or 4am.

The TV's in the bedrooms should be hooked up to the satellite system. Maybe the previous tenants were messing around with them and screwed up the connections. That being said you can only control the satellite with the living room unit. Whatever is being watched out there is what you see.
Enjoy

Rich

We haven't heard the disco bar at all, didn't know there was one there. Now next week is Carnaval, maybe we hit the calm before the storm.....

We’ll be doing the same (El Cantil and Blue XT~Sea) the end of May, Can’t Wait!!!

I have some questions about the dive gear storage area that I’ve been meaning to post but since you are there now I might as well ask here.

How big are they, can you fit all of your gear in them or just the wetsuits? Some in our group may want to handle their gear.
How many do you get per room/unit? We will have 5 divers in a 4BR unit.
Do we need to bring a padlock or is there another security method?
Can we get to them any time of day?

Unrelated…I know you said it’s purified, so I assume the tap water at El Cantil is okay to drink/brush your teeth with, yes?

Thanks,
Lee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom